Good fit for breeding?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy Hollands

Reaction score
Does my doe have a good body for breeding? I need others' opinion, as I am confused how to figure out if she has wide HQ. She is most likely a false dwarf - She weighs around 2.25 lbs. at 4 months old. Her mother was small and had bigger litters (5-7). Thanks!
IMG_20200817_141841.jpg

Also, when should I breed her for the first time? Around 6 months, so she has a litter when she's 7 months, or breed her around 5 months, so she has a litter when she's 6 months old?

I will most likely breed her when she is just short of 6 months old, but would love others' input. Thanks!

From this picture she looks like her hindquarter is fairly narrow. If you want a more accurate picture, take a picture from eye level of her from behind. Her width should carry down to the table. Look at this picture for example:
The red line is a narrow hindquarter (what the rabbit in the picture has), the blue line is a more correct hindquarter.
1597708766667.png
You can start breeding her when she reaches her sr weight. 5.5 months is about when I like to start breeding. Hollands quite often lose their first litter, so be prepared

Thank you for your response! Here's a picture, hopefully it's from the right angle. The image and description you provided were very helpful, what a smart way to do it!
IMG_20200817_142058.jpg
I have always bought proven does, so this will be my first baby I'm growing out. I'm nervous and excited, even though there's a low survival rate for the first litter I am hoping everything goes well!

You would probably be okay to breed. Her hindquarters are a bit pinched though. You can tell by the way her back feet angle out when she’s flipped over on her back.
Thank you!! What are the disadvantages of breeding a doe with pinched hindquarters? Is it hard for her to give birth, or...? Again, thank you so much, I am still learning!

We never judged the HQ width by the front paws so idk about using that criteria. You want to use a buck that will complement your doe’s type. Any flaws she has you want the buck to have good type in those areas. I would use a buck a little smaller than her.

This doe grew out well and just had her first litter of 5 successfully, no stuck kits or stillborns! Thus, concluding that "narrow HQ" does not affect breeding.
Great! This is such a helpful thread. I've been researching for a long time and am hoping to have a littler this spring.

Latest posts

Back