Good bonding behaviour?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Effloresco

Reaction score
So I've been running through introductions with the rabbits, it's only their third time meeting face to face and it seems to be going great for the most part. Both bunnies are not showing much if any aggression, are eating together, appear to be licking each other, and are flopping next to one another. The issue is that the male bun is often chasing and trying to hump the girl bunny, but she is not having any of it and just wants to cuddle. He often is thumping and grunting and being generally moody, while she is just chilling somewhere until he comes over to bother her. Should I stop him chasing and humping? And will this stop? I just feel so bad for Flossie as she just wants licks and cuddles. He even pulled out a bit of her fur trying to hump her :/ For the most part after any chasing she does go straight back to flopping and laying next to him, so I'm guessing this is good?20180910_160620.jpg 15365927900721033344949840506979.jpg

pulling fur is usual when a male mounts a female.. keep an eye on the and stop the chasing... just make sure that when they are together they are under your supervision. are the fixed? spayed and nutured

Thank you for the reply, and advice, and don't worry, I have been watching them like a hawk!
Yeah both of them are fixed, she was fixed a little over 3 weeks ago, but he's been fixed for years, so I thought she would be the more hormonal of the two. She's also a lot younger at about 6 months, whereas he is 3 years old. I got her a few months after his bonded bun sadly passed away, but she is from a rescue and has not ever been with another bunny

Are you still separating them after doing 'dates' or are they permanently together now? If you are still separating, it may be he's just getting overly excited when you put them back together and that is causing the excessive humping. In which case, once they are permanently together he should start to settle down. But those first 24-48 hours of leaving them together, you want to continue to keep a close eye and I would only let him hump her for a few seconds and then separate. not let him do it too much, and try and distract him with food/treats or something. You just don't want the humping to be excessive to the point that it starts to aggitate her, which could result in a scuffle occurring. If he seems to not be letting up and you notice it's negtively affecting her behavior(aggitation, or becoming nervous or withdrawn), I would separate and continue to do short dates.

Thank you for the advice! I think we are going to keep them together for now, with mini breaks if he gets too much. We are doing really long dates with them, where me and my sister are swapping over shifts. We did an overnight last night but we still did shifts over the course of the night. They seem to be doing okay for the most part, and now they seem to be more chilled out, but also a lot less interested in each other.

All normal. I was told to let them hump so long as she is not crying and he is not ripping too much hair/hurting her - this is a dominance issue and that they will work it out. You may see him humping her off an on throughout their relationship esp. since this is "his house" and she is new. But keep a watch out - I was told that it takes 5 - 15 days, typically, to bond a pair. Mine took 5 days they had long dates - no over night until the 5th date but they were x-penned next to each other all day and all night for the days leading up to the overnight.

He still humps her on occasion and she will nip him if he gets out of hand - esp. if another female (sometimes male) is running around - she will "pick" on the male...but no blood or excessive fighting or anything, she is very protective of him and her space. He loves everything and everyone it seems...but definitely watch them.

But honestly it sounds like you are doing a fine job.

Latest posts

Back