Going to move rabbits outside.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2old4rabbits

Reaction score
Well the new rabbits we just got today are going to be moved outside to a rabbit cage that is 3-ft above the ground and has an enclosed end. The weather is getting nice here in South Georgia so the temps are pretty moderate. Will the young Dutch and Holland lop be okay outside?

You'll have major concerns with heat and predators.

Rabbits are very prone to heat stroke, they'll need shade and ventilation, and things like fans and ice bottles when it gets hotter.

Not sure what predators you have in the area, and even if you haven't seen any, everything from packs of dogs to raccoons to hawks to foxes will find the rabbits. They can and will rip doors and wires off hutches and/or knock them to the ground. Even if they don't actually reach the rabbits, the bunnies can easily die from fear -- even days later.

I'm not adverse to rabbits living outside as long as they have companionship, but it really takes a lot to make sure they're safe, and pretty often you don't find out they're not until it's too late.

It can be done, but it takes fencing, lots of strong materials and tons of diligence.

I think the Library has articles on preventing heat stroke and predator protection, hopefully someone will dig those up for you.

How young are they? Are they girls? Boys? Spayed/neutered? You also may not be around to see them start to fight, and that could also have dire consequences.

sas :bunnydance:

I have a 10'LX10'WX6'H enclosed pen I plan on putting their cage in (so it will be acage within a pen). It is right under a huge pine tree and completely shaded. I live in the middle of a highly populated suburban area so predators would have a hard time getting to me I think. Our Golden Retriever is in the yard (can't get in the pen) and generally gets after anything that comes in the yard.

Pipp wrote:
You'll have major concerns with heat and predators.

Rabbits are very prone to heat stroke, they'll need shade and ventilation, and things like fans and ice bottles when it gets hotter.

Not sure what predators you have in the area, and even if you haven't seen any, everything from packs of dogs to raccoons to hawks to foxes will find the rabbits. They can and will rip doors and wires off hutches and/or knock them to the ground. Even if they don't actually reach the rabbits, the bunnies can easily die from fear -- even days later.

I'm not adverse to rabbits living outside as long as they have companionship, but it really takes a lot to make sure they're safe, and pretty often you don't find out they're not until it's too late.

It can be done, but it takes fencing, lots of strong materials and tons of diligence.

I think the Library has articles on preventing heat stroke and predator protection, hopefully someone will dig those up for you.

How young are they? Are they girls? Boys? Spayed/neutered? You also may not be around to see them start to fight, and that could also have dire consequences.

sas :bunnydance:

Have to agree with this! My rabbits are indoor rabbits. Indoor rabbits, I believe will live longer than outdoor rabbits. Indoor rabbits are not5 susceptible to the many diseases that are out there outside.

You can keep an eye on them if they are indoors better than you can if they are outside. You will also be able to monitor their behavior.

Is variety not a good thing for bunnys? We have hutch on legs for at night and a run on the grass for during the day when its not too windy/wet. They love nibbling the grass!!! :)

In the winter I will bring them in on very cold nights and have them in our bathroom, no wires to chew in there and the best place for them to be if its chilly. I am in NZ and we don't have snow in the winter so not too extreme. The only predators I have in my garden are my cats (and one of them brings home wild baby bunnys - in pieces + rats etc) - so we have been warding him away from their run, he is getting the drift. We do have birds of prey but I doubt they would swoop into our yard, as we too live in a suburb but do have some native bush area's near us.....

My buns are outside on my deck, we don't have any predators around here cept for a cat who doesn't come near. If there is good shelter for them,plus good ventilationand they're not being pestered by other animals I think they should be fine. Have they been living inside up until now? If they have the sudden temperature change won't be very good for them. You mention you got them today, are they bonded or have you just put them together?

I have both indoor and outdoor rabbits. I would love to have them all inside, but it's just not possible. The majority of the rabbits I had were going to be euthanized, so I figured they are better off outside then dead.

It has taken a lot of work to get their runs secure. I also have a great pyrenees who won't let anything near them. I spend a lot of time with them and able to tell if anyone is "off".

There is nothing wrong with keeping rabbits outside. There aren't more 'diseases' outside in a hutch than inside a house in a hutch. My buns would actually prefer being outside in the fresh breeze, basking in the sunlight in the morning than being inside in the dark house...lol I agree with what has been mentioned, I would be sure that their hutch is built strong and is well protected from preditors. In the summer, place tiles in the freezer and put them upside down(the non-slick side facing up so the bun can't slip and break a back), and I would put a frozen water bottle in the AM and then around mid afternoon, place a new frozen bottle in the hutch. Misting with a spray bottle also helps keep the temps down some. Fans are great too, if all else fails, bring them in during the heat of the day. I had to do that with my woolies last year and they did fine without any stress. It takes some work to keep buns outside but it can be done!

I love seeing them laying there in the sunshine, mine were hot last weekend, stretching out and trying to cool down, I put a blanket over the hutch to give them some shade. I am a little concerned at how much cold they can handle...? Any idea's on this???

Latest posts

Back