Going to Israel

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniLopHop

Reaction score
Well, I am officially booked to go to Israel for work November 9-15. This will be just the second time out of the US, the first being Paris a few years ago for work as well. I will be running training sessions and not get much touristy time, but that is ok.

I'm excited to get to meet everyone and get the new processes used. However, I am terrified of getting blown up. I guess we are spoiled with such a sense of security in the US. I know they are trying to be assuring when they tell me there is a bomb shelter in the building and a plan to get us out of the country in case of war, but that doesn't make me feel good that it is needed. Even worse, I got a message that apparently they have a program onmy black berry now that in case of kidnapping or war etc. they can track my device so they can retrieve me. :shock:

Has anyone traveled to Israel, or even that part of the world? Is it as unstable and scarry as I am getting that impression?

My in-laws went there several years ago. And they said that it is a beautiful country but there was an underlying feeling of fear the whole time they were there. They said to stay out of the areas that you are told to stay out of and follow the directions that you are given and you will be fine :)

Oh yes, I will not be going anywhere by myself out side of the hotel. Luckily some of the girls from the office will go out with me in the evenings. I'm sure they won't take me anywhere I shouldn't be.

I got some weird advice from a travel book that this is one area you WANT to look like a tourist, less likely to get hurt that way apparently.

I was also told not to joke about security as they take it very seriously. I never make jokes at airports, so that will not be hard. At heart I'm afraid of authority so I do what I'm told. :p

I've never been there but I've found most places aren't as dangerous as they are hyped up to be. As long as you have your wits about you and are careful, I'm sure you'll be perfectly fine. Enjoy your trip!

:yeahthat: We were all set to go there and all over, especially Egypt(Cairo Museum, Pyramids, etc.) but them some jackass named Hussein invaded Kuwait. Not afraid of going to Israel, but don't feel it to be totally a good thing to travel to all the other places we want to see while there, like Petra.

Nancy McClelland wrote:
:yeahthat: We were all set to go there and all over, especially Egypt(Cairo Museum, Pyramids, etc.) but them some jackass named Hussein invaded Kuwait. Not afraid of going to Israel, but don't feel it to be totally a good thing to travel to all the other places we want to see while there, like Petra.
When we were in college, we were going to go on an archeology dig out there and tour Egypt, Israel & Turkey. (We were going to see Petra too.) The trip got cancelled because of the political climate :( But that was in the mid 80s.
...maybe one day...

MiniLop, I can imagine how you might be feeling. At the same time, that's a really exciting opportunity too.
I'm sure your work wouldn't be scheduling such a trip if they really thought there'd be any problems. I'd try not to worry and just enjoy your trip.

Brandy my friend and her hubby just went to Israel a year ago and loved it. They had no issues at all.

I tend to agree with grace, sometimes the dangers of places are a bit hyped up. We have been to Jamaica several times (which I know Israel and Jamaica are no where near the same) and people are told to never leave their resort because Jamaica is so bad when in all actuality it is not. We traveled around Jamaica by ourselves with no problems.

What an experience for you! Take pictures and show us when you get back :)

My aunt goes to Israel every summer and she never has any problems. Admittedly she speaks the Hebrew and Yiddish so she doesn't have any difficulty communicating.

I'm hoping before I turn 30 to go to Israel and see Mea Shearim. :D

I spent about 4 months in Israel a few years ago living with my grandmother. We lived in Be'ersheva but we did a few weeks of travelling around the whole country. Never had an issue with feeling unsafe though like CosmosMomma's aunt, I could communicate without much trouble thanks to fluent Russian and a bit of Yiddish. Overall, it was a fantastic experience and hopefully you'll enjoy your time in Israel as wel :)

Latest posts

Back