Going on vacation

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caitlint770

Reaction score
So my grandma recently surprised my mom and i with a two week trip to Europe, but I have been super emotional about leaving my bunny behind. My dad will be around to take care of her but he doesnt even take me whenever i think shes sick (which I've been right everytime). I have shared my concern with my parents and actually almost had an emotional breakdown with the thought of something happening when im away, and they think that im too emotionally attached to my rabbit. After reading so many things about leaving a rabbit alone and about how easy it is for them to hide when their sick, i can't help but feel this way. Theyve given me til the beginning of next week to decide if i am going or not. I wanted to see if anyone else had a similar experience or if you went on vacation without your rabbit, maybe some reassurance even cause i really want to go on this trip!

If your rabbit has plenty of hay and water, she'll be just fine. Even if, for 2 weeks, she never got out of her cage, she'd still be ok. I wouldn't stress over it. If pellets are forgotten or greens aren't given, but bunny still had hay & water, she'd still be fine. It wouldn't be ideal, of course, to go without exercise or pellets or greens, but I'm just saying that even if bunny doesn't get the same level of care that you give her, she can get along. She can survive without issue. It is just 2 weeks.

Just stress the importance of adding hay every day (don't make things too complicated with her care or it won't get done) and then go enjoy a trip of a lifetime.

Make a simple list to leave on her cage. If it is more complicated, it will likely be ignored.

Example:

Morning:
fill water, refresh hay

Evening:
check water, feed scoop of pellets

As blue eyes say everything will go well as long your bunny have hay and water.

Myself have travelled before and let my dad take care of my bunnies. I just told him to give my bunnies hay everyday and fresh water. And he only needed to clean the litter box once every week.

Also how he change the bunnies in the run and that he was allowed to give max one carrot/ week. But two weeks they can stay in the cage without stretching, just to make it easier for your dad.

My dad have the hobby to give my bunnies treats behind my back. So I always need to put extra importance in that area.

I’ve been away for 2 months from my bunnies and everything went well. My bunnies didn’t act weird and didn’t loose weight.

The only person I would never let watch over my bunnies when I travel is my oldest brother. I still remember how much my first bunny fur smelled of beer when I was a kid, after my oldest brother took care of him and my bunny had gotten a bit scared of people.

But he was still healthy, I just think my oldest brother used my bunny to pick up girls at parties... So my first bunny had that life for 2 months, during a summer break.

Myself have often left my bunnies to my little brother care or my dad. I have also told them to watch out for a few signs and if the bunnies get any of those. They should take them to the vet [emoji5]

Thanks for the reassurance! My bun free roams 24 hours in my room and apparently my dad already has plans on letting her free roam around other parts of the house too.
My biggest fear has just been imagining her feeling lonely and getting depressed because i feel like he wont spend as much time as i do with her.

I’ve had this happen before. Your bunny will be fine and she might miss you but remember it’s only a temporary situation. Also what I’ve done is left a short list of signs to look out for (no eating, not going to the bathroom, not moving much, ways that they act in pain, etc.) just so my bunnysitters would be a bit aware of normal/not normal behavior

Thanks for the reassurance! My bun free roams 24 hours in my room and apparently my dad already has plans on letting her free roam around other parts of the house too.
My biggest fear has just been imagining her feeling lonely and getting depressed because i feel like he wont spend as much time as i do with her.

I’ve been in this situation where I had to America for two weeks and leave my first rabbit with my mum. I knew that she wouldn’t spend nearly as much time with him as I would but I knew that they’re wasn’t much I could do about that. And so two days prior to me leaving, I wrote out a list of things for my mum to do daily and then weekly. It was only a small list but my mum was used to doing most of these as she owned animals when she was a teen. She told me it took her 15 minutes every day. Probably along the lines of

Daily:
Veggies (small handful, morning and evening)
Check hay (should be a large enough amount)
Make sure he’s eating (if not, he needs to go to a vet. *vet number*) my mum already knows vets number but as a precaution.
Fill water

Don’t over feed treats!

Weekly

Change litter box (empty, add pee pad, add 2 scoops of litter, add hay, close litter box)

My mum sent me videos of my rabbit every day and he was really happy with her. By the end of the trip he probably loved her more than me! One thing I would say is that the other rooms of your house may not me bunny proofed, so just make sure they’re isn’t anything harmful to your rabbit in those rooms.

Other than that, enjoy your time with your mum!

Latest posts

Back