Going on vacation- will new bunny forget me?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anisthelop

Reaction score
I have a 10 week old bunny that I’ve had for 3 weeks. I do some bonding time everyday for a few hours and she’s begging to warm up to me.

I might be going away for a week and I’m terrified that she will forget me and bond with whomever I’m leaving her with since she’s still fairly new to me.

Has anyone experienced leaving a new bunny with someone while you went away?

I have, took a few days after coming back until my bunny warmed up again. It will still be the same after you built a bond with them. But you only need to give a bit of time and the bond will be back again. They remember you but will act a bit distance often when you get home. Might be because you smell different than what you normally do.

Just being away for 4 days and my bunny Odin avoided me and refused to give me a kiss. But later towards the night he cuddled up on my chest and covered me with kisses. While my bunny Toste ran directly up to me and boinked with his nose to get a pat on the head and ran away after his pat. I have owned them for at least 2 years but I have gone on trips that last two months or just one day, they always act the same 😂

My friends that have met my bunny Odin will also get kisses if he know them. They often don’t see him for a few months and Odin will still give them kisses and cuddle with them. He only do it with people he knows.

Last edited:
I've experienced this a bit... I have "shared custody" of Willa and Foxwell with my sister since we're both students and often have to travel a lot. The rabbits mostly stay with me, but they are always OVERJOYED to see my sister, even if it's been months since they saw her last. They bond the closest to who they spend the most time with over a long time, but they definitely remember and miss friends.

Rabbits are very capable of befriending multiple people, and I wouldn't be worried about losing the bond you're developing in a week. Chances are, she'll be super excited to see you when you come home!

I don't think she'll forget you BUT she may hold a grudge! Sometimes, after being separated from their human, they can try to let you know that they didn't appreciate this slight. They may show this by being stand-off-ish. This doesn't mean they "forgot" their bond -- quite the contrary. They remember, and are not happy.

Just don't confuse this with hormonal behavior which she may soon come into. If you return when her hormones happen to kick in, you may think she utterly turned on you. Don't worry. It isn't uncommon. Hormones can drastically change a rabbit's behavior anyway. Your trip just may happen to correspond with this coming of hormones. So that's a potential factor that may or may not play into all this depending on her hormone timing.

Latest posts

Back