Going from Free Range to a Cage...Cage Options?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitelop

Morgan
Reaction score
Hello! Its been a while since I've posted!

So we're planning on renovating our house and while we're doing that, we're going to be staying at my in laws house. So I have to contain Ellie! Shes been free range almost her entire life, with some brief points of being confined to a cabinet cage a few years ago.
But for the last 3 years, shes had 200 sq feet to roam around in. But, because the house we'll be staying at isn't mine, I don't want her to destroy anything! She'll have to be caged. I'm so sad about it, and I'm sure she'll think I'm torturing her.

I wanted to set up an exercise pen for her on the tile floor at the house, but my husband told me to confine her completely, which I totally understand! Ellie will survive for a few months in a cage with some out of cage exercise.

I would build something, but we don't really have the time. So store bought would definitely be the way we're going. Anyone have a store bought cage they really like? Or any other cage suggestions?
Something big, obviously. She'll be spending the days in it, only being let out in the evenings to exercise for a few hours, then back up at night.
Space isn't much of an issue, I would just like to avoid something costing a small fortune! LOL

Thanks in advance!

i built my own cage, cost no more than £30. ply wood on the bottom, untreated skirting board glues around the edges to keep the mess in. some metal fencing has been used to for the edges. 2 peices have been held together with copper wire twisted like on a sandwich bag, meaning it can be folded up when he is out and doesn't fall over when set at an angle to each over. you could make this as big as you like. the hutch is in there to give him something to hide in and under but is never closed and provides no security features and hence is not necessary.WhatsApp Image 2018-04-30 at 14.33.28.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2018-04-28 at 09.13.35.jpeg

i built my own cage, cost no more than £30. ply wood on the bottom, untreated skirting board glues around the edges to keep the mess in. some metal fencing has been used to for the edges. 2 peices have been held together with copper wire twisted like on a sandwich bag, meaning it can be folded up when he is out and doesn't fall over when set at an angle to each over. you could make this as big as you like. the hutch is in there to give him something to hide in and under but is never closed and provides no security features and hence is not necessary.View attachment 37267 View attachment 37266

I LOVE this! That is such a great bun space! Thanks for the idea!

Hey, how are you? Sounds like you're all in for an adventure and quite the project ahead.

Other options might be an xl dog crate with some shelves added, or xl rabbit cage, or there are always c&c/NIC cages, though constructing one may be more than you want to do. Or if you like the hutch idea, there are two level ones as well. Here are a few possibilities I found.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E0RWMDG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010FU82JA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CXQG4ZO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N3QIR7D/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a large dog crate for Rori. It's 48" long. Petco website usually has them fairly cheap too (Got ours on sale for a ridiculously low price, went with the double door option, it was only available on the site though). It's not perfect for sure, but as long as she will be getting out of cage time it should suffice.

How did I totally forget about dog crates? LOL

I have a MASSIVE dog crate! Its 36"W x 54"L x 45" T, I'm currently using it for my macaws outside playtime cage! :D I guess thats why I didn't think about it!

Because its so tall, I could actually add a shelf to it in the middle, so she can have like "twice the floor space", and her litter box can go on the bottom and she can have an open loft area. I still have 2 exercise pens, so I can make an area around the big crate for her to also get out to run around while I'm home.

I just have to figure out where to put her and her giant crate! I was going to put her in the dining room with the birds, because the floor would be extra protected...but then I remembered that shes terrified of the macaw! (She doesn't realize hes not a bird of prey, all she sees is giant bird!) So the dining room would probably be stressful, so maybe she can go into the loft area with our semi-feral cat, they love each other. LOL

Thank you so much for saying dog crate! It made my brain work again!

Latest posts

Back