Going Away Again - Without Silver

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnySilver

Bella - Owned by Silver
Reaction score
So as some of you may know, I went away to a beach house earlier this summer and was able to bring Silv along. Everything went great with that and he seemed happy! But I am now going away on a larger vacation at the end of July. Silver will be in the care of my mom and I've typed out some instructions for her. But I have a few questions.

I am worried that Silv may think that I left and will be stressed while I am away. There is absolutely no possibility of bringing him on the trip with me, so that's out of the question. What should I do to solve this? Give him something that smells like me when I leave?

Will he forget who I am and think that my mom is his 'supreme' owner when I come back? I am really worried about this. I'm terrified that he might hate me or forget about me ruining our whole bond. :(

I have one last quick question that is off topic. I have to go somewhere for 4 nights with my family in a week and because of many different reasons, Silv will not be coming with me. My mom really wants to just board him, while I think that he will be fine on his own with just a check in and feeding each day. My friend who he actually likes quite a bit would most likely be the one to do this, as she is basically one of three people who he likes.

The vet says that he would be kept in a 2' x 2' cage when boarded, won't be let out, and will only be fed what I bring for him. Should I board him or leave him at home for the 4 day trip? Where would he be happiest? Should I see where he would be kept if boarded? Thank you all in advance.

The biggest difficulty of being gone would be if Silver is closely bonded with you, then some rabbit's will get depressed and may stop eating when their owner is gone. Leaving a clothing item may help some. I would start having your mom get involved now while you are still home. She doesn't have to really do much, but it will help if your bun is used to her being around. Then when you are actually gone it won't be as big of a change.

Personally with the boarding, I would only do it with a rabbit that I knew was extremely adaptable, people friendly, and not afraid of new places and sounds. In the right type of boarding situation where the person is very rabbit experienced and it's a nice environment for rabbits, then it could work out fine. But in most instances it will usually be better to keep the rabbit in it's own environment, especially if you have someone doing the feeding that your bun is already familiar with. With the boarding being at a vet office, I would opt for keeping your bun at home. A vet office wouldn't be the calmest atmosphere, especially if your bun gets nervous at all.

The most important instructions to pass on to whoever is taking care of your bun, is strict diet instructions so that they aren't giving your bun foods that he isn't used to, and what signs to look for if your bun might be sick and what to do about it.
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/knowing-when-your-rabbit-needs-emergency-treatment.html

I think it will be fine. i leave sometimes for weeks on end and leave my animals in the care of my family and there alwyas overjoyed to see me again when im home.
Do not board him if you can help it if there is someone who is willing to look in on him for you go with that option then because i think it will be less sressful for your bun.

When I went away, I video-chatted with my bunnies. Yeah crazy bunny lady eh. But they responded to it! When my boyfriend left the laptop down on the floor and I called out to my boys, they both came running over and spent a few minutes sniffing around the screen wondering why mummy's face was trapped inside it. :p

But bunnies will recognise your voice, so that's something that could be helpful if your friend reports that Silver seems stressed without you. And yes, go with your friend, don't board him.

Thank you so much for all the quick replies so far! Yeah I'm going to try and convince my mom to just let me keep him at home. I feel like he would be a lot more stressed being boarded. He's not exactly a friendly, people loving bun so I would worry about that a bit. He really only tolerates a few people, lol, but he likes my friend a good bit.

My mom is probably second closest to him next to me and he seems to like her alright. I totally plan to video chat him as well! That's awesome that your buns responded to it! I'm hoping that he will too. Yeah I will leave him something that I wear a lot so it smells like me.

I've typed up very detailed instructions for my mom already, so I'll just give those to my friend as well. I plan to just put some veggies in the fridge in a bag too, so all she has to do is measure out a cup and give then to him. Thanks all again!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back