God has a new bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnylover78642

Reaction score
Gemini was found at 1 am this morning dead. Mysisters dog got her after she broke out of the cage and killed her. Weare planning on burying her but have not done so yet... We are gettingrid of the dog since this is not the first animal she has killed. Weare trying to find a no kill shelter or a family with no animals. Sheis a really sweet dog and has been to obedience school and did reallywell but she is not for us. Gemini is gone and it is really hard toface. I though about her all day. Another bad thing is we just foundout she was pregnant and we already had plans for all the babys she wasgoing to have. I feel really bad, I think Gemini died of fright alsosince there was no marks except for a very small bite mark! Well, Ihave to go take meds. to go to sleep so bye.

Even though you lost a dear pet, I am glad youare not taking your sorrow out on the dog and are looking for a goodhome for her. You are merciful and wise beyond your years.

I am sosorry for your loss. :(

Thanks, I was so mad at Midnight (the dog) that Icould have killed her, but I would never actually hurt her. I feel likeit is my fault. If I had just checked the cages one last time beforegoing to bed she may still be alive. I really didn't believe thatanimals could die of fright, but I guess they can now. Good newsthough, Leo got a new cage and right now is doing binkies in it.!!! Itis funny and huge, he loves it and runs at full speed in circles in it!!

Aww thats soo sad! im soo sorry! well its good to hear that Leo is liking his new cage! lol

and dont blame yourself! it will take you ALOT longer to get over it..and you'll end up blaming yourself for everything eles.. just dont bedown.. your other animals will sense it.. and they will be upset aswell.. just dont blame yourself... thats the big main point here.. iblamed (still do) for Missey's death. and if you blame yourself itsharder to get over.. and since you have other bunnies.. spend more timewith them to help coop with it! goodluck!

My thoughts and prayers are with you as your little Gemini crosses the Rainbow Bridge.

-Michelle

Im so sorry and dont blame yourself its not yourfault. Life is full of what ifs and therez nothin you can do to changethe past. My thoughts are with you during this hard time

I'm so sorry for what happened :(:(. My thoughtsare with you. Don't blame yourselffor it, it's so easy tomiss a loosened latch sometimes :(. I check and check for months andthen one day it slips past me and I get woken by fighting rabbits. Myluck is that I don't have a dog like you did but when it it happens Iknow I feel Oh I should have checked again. The fact is we're human,not perfect :?.

I'm glad little Leo likes his new cage and I hope you can find theperfect animal free home for your dog where she can be happy withoutharm.

Love and a big hug

Kate

Oh Bunnylover,

I'm so, so sorry. :(

I know how much you adored Gemini and how you always did your best tomake sure she had a happy, healthy life. Thank God she had such aloving home during her short visit on Earth with us.

It does sound like fear got the best of her. Poor Gal. My heart goes out to you. I can only imagine how devastated you are.

With deepest sympathy,
-Carolyn

Oh, no! you must be so upset. I know how youmust've felt at your dog, my dog, Patches, has gotten loose before andkilled dozens of chickens, i too, was on the very of killing him, but,i always keep my cool and gave him a stern "talking to". So sorry tohear what has happened...

Ellie

Im sorry that has happened. Ive had dogs kill my rabbits before. But the dogs broke into the cages.

Rabbits are very smart and will learn how to let themselves out of thecage. Thats why its wise to invest in a really good cage, or bunnyproof it. :)Dog's see them as prey/playtoys. Your dogprobably didnt mean it, and probably saw her as something to play with.

Also dogs don't leave bite marks on an animal. Ever see how they play with their toys? They shake them to death.

I think I saw this posted on another site? I think it was practical petcare? You say your dog was obedience trained? If you guys caught her inthe act did you tell her to *drop it?*

If you want to keep your dog, the best thing to do is keep it away fromthe bunnies period. Keep the bunnies in a room where the dog wont beallowed to go in. Otherwise she's gonna do it again. Next time she'lldestroy your cages to get at the bunnies.

im very sorry about your rabbit,I hope you find agood home for your dog we have a dog someone dumped out and she is acat killer we found out by accident.bluebird

Yes I did say my dog was obeidence trained, butthat does not mean she actually listens... She will, sit, stay, andlay, and that is about it. She won't listen to anything else. We didnot ketch her in the act. It was at 1 in the morning while we weresleeping and did not no what was going on. Also the bunnies and dogsboth live out side just the bunnies live on the porch and the dogs livein the backyard. We think Midnight (the dog) saw the bunny out andjumped the porch fence to get to her. We have seen her jump the fenceonly once, but it was to get off the porch, not on the porch. We mayhave found a home for her in Canada, the person said he would pay forshipping, but he wanted to know her medical problems. Midnight has avery bad skin allergy. She pretty much has no hair on her butt or backlegs at all during winter. Then it grows back in the summer. We havebrought her to the vet but they siad that there is nothing but adifferent food that we could use to fix the problem.:(

Just reading now, I am sorry for your loss. It always breaks my heart when I read of people losing their bunny.

It must be double the loss for you. You have lost your rabbit and nowyou are going to have to get rid ofthe dog. I can completelyagree with your desision to get rid of her though. I just hope you finda good home for her.

Prayers to you.

Vickie

Latest posts

Back