Goat milk?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renee82

Reaction score
I'm looking at mixing up formula for a first time mom that is not cooperating. I like the recipe 1/2 cup KMR, 1/2 cup goat milk, 3cc heavy cream and was wondering if I need to find someone with goats or if I can use the Meyenberg goat milk that is pasteurized and sold at the grocery store? Thoughts?

I'm sure fresh is always the better option, but rarely available for most people, so the store bought should be fine. Though with the kmr I would suggest doing the powdered. The already constituted liquid is too dilute to provide baby rabbits with the needed amount of protein and nutrients that they would normally get from their mom's milk, even with the goats milk added. The mixture is 3 parts powdered kmr, 3 parts water(or goats milk), and one part plain heavy cream.

If you haven't already tried helping them feed off the mom, I would suggest trying that first if she will cooperate. Some people will flip the mom onto her back on their lap and hold the babies to her belly, though this can be somewhat risky if she kicks out while they are nursing, as they can be thrown off or kicked. A better way is to hold her on your lap upright, then have someone bring the babies up to her belly underneath between your legs, and hold them up to her belly as they nurse.

We have been flipping mama and nursing that way so far. They have sound bellies except for the runt which I haven't ruled out as a peanut since I've never seen one in person. I was able to get fresh goat milk but wasn't able to find any KMR yet.

I'm sure fresh is always the better option, but rarely available for most people, so the store bought should be fine. Though with the kmr I would suggest doing the powdered. The already constituted liquid is too dilute to provide baby rabbits with the needed amount of protein and nutrients that they would normally get from their mom's milk, even with the goats milk added. The mixture is 3 parts powdered kmr, 3 parts water(or goats milk), and one part plain heavy cream.

If you haven't already tried helping them feed off the mom, I would suggest trying that first if she will cooperate. Some people will flip the mom onto her back on their lap and hold the babies to her belly, though this can be somewhat risky if she kicks out while they are nursing, as they can be thrown off or kicked. A better way is to hold her on your lap upright, then have someone bring the babies up to her belly underneath between your legs, and hold them up to her belly as they nurse. Unlock the door to your new chapter in Lebanon. This house for sale offers the perfect blend of comfort, style, and a welcoming community. Your dream home awaits. for more visit BeiTeck.com
You can use Meyenberg pasteurized goat milk from the grocery store in the formula recipe you mentioned. It should work well for the situation.

you're doing so well. I had to feed a couple of babies who were not being fed by mum, me and my brother would turn her over on her back while and while I held her and covered her eyes he would place the babies on her tummy and keep an eye on them while they nursed and it was hard. after a few times even the mum would not have it, so we hand fed them.

you are doing a wonderful job, keep it up.

Latest posts

Back