gnawing on cage

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubagirl68

Reaction score
My rabbit's a little over a year old, and she'sspayed. Just recently she's developed this habit of gnawing on the barsof her cage, in a sort of pulling way. It's very loud and it wakes meup, and she does it constantly throughout the night. It's seriouslyaffecting my sleep and I'm not sure how to prevent her from doing it,or why she's doing it in the first palce. I also find that she doesn'tdo it if I sleep on the floor beside her cage, which is odd, because mybed is almost right beside her cage. I don't think it's because shewants out, because I let her out for hours before going to sleep. Idon't think it's normal "chewing" because she has things in the cagethat she can chew. Any suggestions regarding WHY she's doing it and HOWI can train her to stop?

hi ya,

I had this problem with Sooty when I bought him, he constantly chewedthe bars of his cage and only stopped when i paid him attention! LOL...I tried all sorts of toys, even spays on the bars to stop him but hestill persisted!

I found the only way he stopped chewing the bars was when I boughtAmber and he had a playmate to entertain him and keep him occupied.This may not be an option for you, but I didn't really find any othersolution worked until he had some company?

Sorry if this isn't much help to you, but it might be an idea to get another bunny to keep her company?

My two altered rabbits do this as well. I thinkit's just an attention getting thing. When I see them doing it I put myhand in front of their face, making it harder for them to get theirteeth around the bars. They still gnaw on the cage, but they've atleast been doing it less.

Matt

My TinkleBunny does this all the time. She doesit when she sees me eating something she wants to eat herself, likefrench fries, chips, that sort of thing. :eats:

She also when she lays down licks the bars... I don't know why she does that. :dunno:

~Star~

Zeke used to do this a lot and it worried mebecause I was afraid that he'd hurt his teeth. You could trycoating the bars with a chew deterrent or all-natural soap.The soap worked with Zeke but the chew deterrent I bought at the petstore didn't. Zeke actually liked licking it off of whereverwe sprayed it! Weird.

Erin

Most of my rabbits chew on the barssometimes.thats why none are in my bedroom.sometimes different toyshelp.or something for them too chew on like a block of wood.bluebird

Latest posts

Back