Glaucoma

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michaela

Reaction score
My rex Berri had a bulging eye and after a fewdays when it didn't go away we took her to the vet. He's not veryexperienced with rabbits- all the vets heremainlyjustdeal withcows and sheep andother farm animals. He looked at it and said she hasglaucoma.She had an injection and he put eye drops and andtold us to bring her back the next day. We did and she had anotherinjection, more eyedrops and he gave us a cream to put in her eye twicea day (it's called Fucithalmic viscous eye drops). That was Saturdayand so far I haven't noticed any improvement. Has anyone had experiencof this in rabbits could you please tell me more about and if thistreatment will work?

My bunny Fudge had a bulging eye that developedvery slowly over a number of months - turned out to be an abcess behindhis eye - check your bun over with you vet/another vet in case it maybe this.

Good luckxx

mummybunny

Buphthalmia
This disease is congenital glaucoma caused by an autosomal recessivedefect with incomplete penetrance. There is abnormalproduction and removal of aqueous from the anterior chamber.Clinical signs may occur as early as 2 to 3 weeks of age, but are morecommon at 3 to 4 months of age. Signs includeslight cloudiness progressing to increasing cloudiness of the cornea, aprominent eyeball, conjunctivitis, keratitis, ulceration, and ruptureof the cornea. The condition may be unilateral orbilateral. Affected individuals should be removed from thebreeding colony.
Source:http://www.radil.missouri.edu/info/dora/RABBPAGE/inh.htm#II.

Info on exophthalmos:

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/links/doi/10.1046/j.1463-5224.2002.00230.x/abs/

A 16-month-old, male, neuter Dwarf Lop rabbit presented withexophthalmos of the right eye of 3weeks duration. Undersedation an ultrasound of the right eye was performed and showed anorbital hypo-echoic area posterior and ventrolateral to the rightglobe, which was presumed to be a cyst. Fine needle aspirate removed5.5mLs of straw-colored fluid from the cyst, which allowedthe globe to return to its normal position. Two months later the rabbitre-presented with exophthalmos of the right eye. Exploratory surgerywas performed and a large cystic structure was removed from theventro-lateral conjunctival fornix. Histology confirmed the cyst to bea coenurus of Taenia serialis (tapeworm).

Latest posts

Back