Glamour Shots has easter bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EileenH wrote:
I was at a Pet Expo yesterday and they had rabbits there in a pen with signs that said "Do Not Pick Up The Rabbits". What did I see? Tons of kids picking up the rabbits, holding them upside down, while their parents took pictures of them.
And yes, I did correct them, but got blank looks in return.
In the end, the photo wins out over respect.

As others have said, most people don't have any clue on how to act around rabbits.
And, as said before, they are not props.
People have little respect for animals. Many kids go to petting zoos where they pretty much get free reign to terrorize the animals. I usually see a bunch of baby rabbits in a box where they can't get away from the kids who want to pick them up. The few adults around can usually run and hide. It's these places that allow unsupervised time with animals that don't help anything at all.

The Hopping Club was at a mall demo a few weeks ago. It was Family day so there were some other things there including a petting zoo. We had people actually asking if the rabbits were for sale. I have my rabbits in a pen (rather than the tents) and there was at least one guy who was going to just pick them up. I had to rush over to stop him. I don't mind people petting the rabbits, but I don't want them picked up by total strangers. I feel like I need signs, but I am not sure they would help. I am quite willing to let people pet my rabbit, but I need to be there and they are not allowed to hold the rabbit (there may be very special circumstances, but that is very rare).
We were at a rabbit show the day before the mall. We had opened up the course to allow some people who wanted to try agility (under supervision). It went well as the first rabbits were owned by adults and some club members were doing the handling. Eventually some young kids (maybe 10 years old) brought in some 8 week old flemish giants to try it. There were 4 or 5 kids on the course. One girl was using her feet until told otherwise and the others were quite rough. They were told several times to stop but would not listen. I am not sure if the parents were even around, but these kids had no respect for other adults telling them anything.

The trouble is not so much kids, but adults. Children learn from example much more that what they are told. If the parent tells them to ask before petting, but they just pet without asking, the kid is not going to ask. Considering all the parents who think that a rabbit is a suitable pet for their 3 year old (without help), we really need to focus on education of parents and other adults while providing age appropriate knowledge to kids as well.

As for using rabbits in photo shoots with kids, the only way I would allow my rabbit to participate is if I am right there with my rabbit. I would pick a rabbit that is calm and will just sit there and make sure the child is not mishandling the rabbit. I would not let someone else handle my rabbits. Under no circumstance would I allow someone to take my rabbits where I cannot be there.

Bluesmaven wrote:
bottom line as long as people spend their money at glamour snots they will continue to do this. It's all about the money.
I actually know of one rescue that is doing "Easter Photos" with their bunnies and stuff and using that to raise money for the rescue.

I won't name them as I don't want them to get harassing emails but here is what the advertisement says...

We will take multiple photos of each child/family with the bunnies, and all photos will be put on a CD. Each CD is only $10, and you can share them online as well as print at any photo store.
Bunny-friendly pets are welcome too!
Easter photos will be taken from 10am-2pm.

Last year between this and their yard sale that day - they brought in over$1300.

if it's done right it doesn't harm the bunnies. The photographer that owned King and Aretha before me never let the children hold the rabbits, he posed the rabbits beside the child. If the shelter does it that way more power to them, I say.

Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
The Hopping Club was at a mall demo a few weeks ago. It was Family day so there were some other things there including a petting zoo. We had people actually asking if the rabbits were for sale. I have my rabbits in a pen (rather than the tents) and there was at least one guy who was going to just pick them up. I had to rush over to stop him. I don't mind people petting the rabbits, but I don't want them picked up by total strangers. I feel like I need signs, but I am not sure they would help. I am quite willing to let people pet my rabbit, but I need to be there and they are not allowed to hold the rabbit (there may be very special circumstances, but that is very rare).

I would not let someone else handle my rabbits. Under no circumstance would I allow someone to take my rabbits where I cannot be there.
Kate i go to bunny events in town and ive made a sign specifically for the buns..

"DO NOT PICK UP BUNNIES ,Violators will be shot ,survivors will be shot again."

it seemed to work cuz everybody elses bunnies were getting messed with but mine...i am very familiar with handling rabbits but i dont even pick up anybody elses rabbits out of respect for them and the animal..i dont know their bunny!!what if something went wrong ..!!.these animals cant just be plopped from one hand to another ,they dont balance themselves well in a persons arms ..u have to do this for them and it takes time to learn how to do this right...it took me awhile to be able to this and i still have to pay very close attention when i do it..there is no distraction or just grab them with one arm..things can go wrong very quickly....its so dif with picking up dogs cuz they arent bottom heavy like a rabbit so they balance out their weight better in ur arms then a rabbit does...and cats are cake cuz they can balance out their weight on their own any way you hold them or when u put them down..their like slinkies..:)

i remember when i was very young my dad told me when i wasnt holding our cat properly or he would say stop mauling the cat...(i was never mean but i was a little toddler who needed to be taught) i remember he told me how to hold our cat EVERYTIME i didnt do it right..he sat my brother and i down and showed us how to hold her and how to pet her ..not once ..but NUMEROUS times he showed us throughout us growing up.(thats the key to teaching children about animals, be repetetive )..my dad was the best ..he would hold out his hand and pick honeybees off of the flowers and show them to us in his hand...and any animal that ended up in our house ,porch or yard that didnt belong there (mice,a bat,snakes ,raccoons,skunks) nothing got harmed they were all removed with gentle hands and care...and when he did it he TAUGHT us about them and showed us what they looked like up close ..and told us all about what makes that animal amazing.........
he did a fabulous job cuz now im like him.
thimtheone.gif

Flash Gordon wrote:
Korr_and_Sophie wrote:

I would not let someone else handle my rabbits. Under no circumstance would I allow someone to take my rabbits where I cannot be there.
Kate i go to bunny events in town and ive made a sign specifically for the buns..

Our club, though, would not be somewhere where that sign could be used simply because we are there for public appearance, and I doubt the places that allow us to perform would allow us post something like this.

I think that this sort of thing is okay AS LONG as the rabbits are handled well and taken care of. If it isn't hurting the bunny, I see nothing wrong.

Our club, though, would not be somewhere where that sign could be used simply because we are there for public appearance, and I doubt the places that allow us to perform would allow us post something like this.
wasnt telling u to post something like the sign i made...just telling u what i did and what worked for me...and everybody got a kick out of it.

Flash Gordon wrote:

wasnt telling u to post something like the sign i made...just telling u what i did and what worked for me...and everybody got a kick out of it.
Oh, it is definitely cute and I agree with the overall message (Hence why all my bunnies are in completely confined tents where wandering hands can't grab at them) I was just saying that it isn't something that would work in our situation :biggrin:

TinysMom wrote:
Bluesmaven wrote:
bottom line as long as people spend their money at glamour snots they will continue to do this. It's all about the money.
I actually know of one rescue that is doing "Easter Photos" with their bunnies and stuff and using that to raise money for the rescue.

I won't name them as I don't want them to get harassing emails but here is what the advertisement says...

We will take multiple photos of each child/family with the bunnies, and all photos will be put on a CD. Each CD is only $10, and you can share them online as well as print at any photo store.
Bunny-friendly pets are welcome too!
Easter photos will be taken from 10am-2pm.

Last year between this and their yard sale that day - they brought in over$1300.

Peg, the big difference here is that there is only a 4 hr window for the photos, they have multiple rabbits, and will have rabbit people there to supervise. It is still not an ideal situation, and something could go wrong and a bunny could be mishandled, but that is much better than at the mall with one or two bunnies for hours on end and non-expert people in charge.

Latest posts

Back