Glamour Shots has easter bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krissa

Reaction score
I did a search on the forum and I didn't find anything about this topic so I figured I would post.

I just got an ad from Glamour shots Spring Portraits with live rabbits. My first thought was what happens to all the rabbits after spring is over! I am so upset. I did a quick google search and found that every year Glamour Shots uses rabbits in their studios.

I can't imagine trying to pose a rabbit and a child - those poor bunnies must be terrified. All those bright lights and screaming children!

Although it seems that the company does ignore complaint letters and will not respond to them I am going to write one. I am also going to post on my Facebook page to tell my friends to go else wear for their easter portraits.

Has anyone written anything to the company in the past? Did you get a resoponse. Hopefully they don't just throw these rabbits away after easter.

Well I am assuming the rabbits that are going to have there photo's taken have owners. Probably a rabbit with a higher tolerance level so the customer is safe. The last thing they want is to be sued for the rabbit scratching the kid or the rabbit isn't in the mood to work with the kid and pee's on that expensive dress. If rabbits were being bought and then thrown away then it would probably make them look bad, like peta protesting kind of bad. I looked around for proof of rabbit abuse by the company and I haven't found any. I haven't seen any news of employee's complaining that the rabbits they get are abused because there are probably a handful of Glamour shot employee's who care about the safety of the rabbit to tell a higher authority about it.

I mean it's sad that that the bunnies have to go through this but I don't see what the big deal as long as the rabbit is being cared for correctly and employee's try to keep the rabbit comfortable during and after photo's. Maybe if they used rescued rabbits in there photo's it would be better but I haven't found any info saying were these bunnies come from either. Besides what if the family wants a live rabbit and not a stuffed rabbit. It might worse if mr. fancy pants decides to buy a live rabbit and tossed it aside when he is finished. If people are willing to pay for it then there isn't much stopping the business.

I think this topic is a little extreme. And Olivia is right the rabbits do have owners.

For example: My bunny lady Kathy lets photographers borrow her bunnies for easter shots. She uses breeds such as mini rex, hollands, dutch, and other docile breeds. Some are mixes too. She owns all the bunnies and has never had any problems with kids mishandling. She does a good job explaining to the photographers on how to properly handle rabbits and the same photographers always come back to her. the rabbits are also back at the bunny farm in no time

Thanks for the info - I couldn't find much on the net about the company. This makes me feel better. I may go to my local one and ask about the bunnies

The local House Rabbit Society has pictures with their bunnies too. They say it is pictures with the real easter bunny. They are rather cute photos and as somone mentioned, it keeps people from getting a rabbit as disposable.

Last year at the Arizona Mills Mall Glamor Shots, I saw the guy roughly handle a baby rabbit (Trying to pose it with a child) and then THROW it (I mean throw) it back into the tiny cage with another rabbit. The rabbit was in fact bleeding.

I yelled at the guy (Lost my temper) and we ended up getting into a yelling match. He said that it was none of my business. Mall Security was called, and I am not allowed to go near the Glamor Shots. The cops were called and they took the rabbit away from that shop. I never heard if they guy was pressed for charges.

I must have posted it on here..it is prob on my old blog.

In the end, I don't care if the bunnies are "used to being handled" anyone who has been to ARizona Mills Mall, or actually seen the horrible children and posing, cage conditions, ect they are put in would allow this to happen.

Plus it DOES make people want to buy them as Arizona Mills also conveintaly has a puppy shop that sells rabbits.

I know of a lionhead breeder who used to work part-time with a photo studio and every spring she would allow some of her rabbits to be used for photo shoots. She picked which animals were available (she knew their personalities) and she was there working whenever the rabbits were there.

I think in a lot of cases this is a bad thing - like if photographers don't know how to handle rabbits or if kids don't know, etc.

But I think it also *can* be done in an ethical way if a studio is willing to work with a breeder and specific rabbits that they recommend.

Personally - if I had a photo studio here in town that wanted to do this - I would be more than willing to let them use a few of my flemish as long as I was there. Even the babies I'm fostering would do pretty good now that we've had them for a week.

I wouldn't let the rabbits be held by a child under 5 or so....and I would probably want the rabbit in a basket or box or something like that.

But I know Dukey loves people and loves to be held and petted and he'd enjoy getting out of his cage and being around people (as long as he felt safe by having one of us there).

The photo studio in the mall where I used to work used to do it. The bunnies seemed to enjoy all the attention. She worked with shelter rabbits and even gave them a few shots to use for their adoption ads. Usually the bunnies were in this decorated basket for the shoot. She liked rabbits and yes sometimes the children got to hold one but I think it's fine if the child has assitance and is calm. Then again, she was a pretty cool lady. I understand that not everyone is as cool.

I dostrongly discouragetalking in absolutes and jumping to conclusions just because they have rabbits though. I think unless you are at the shoot and can witness it being such a bad thing, then it's probably best to give them the benefit of the doubt. Or else, perhaps you can try commenting on how adorable the pictures must turn out and then try to coax them into using shelter rabbits for the next one, maybe even volunteering to handle the bunny and help people handle him/her properly as well. More importantly, if you (I mean anyone in general) should be mature enough to ask them about it before acting like someone on a mission to destroy the reputation of the place. If they are abusing them, and disposing of them after they are done with their easter shoots then by all means do so, but unless you have seen it from your own eyes, be careful about where you get your info from.

I think, if used right, it's a great oppurtunity to educate people about bunnies. When you see a problem, try being pro-active instead of blocking at that fact. See what needs to be done to make it better. Then try to bring that about.Many people and bunnies could benefit from it.

im sure that some of their photographers are very caring and careful with the buns...but i guarantee the majority of them arent.and it might be cuz of lack of knowleadge and they are willing to learn..but these people are "working" they have 50 people coming thru their door or more everyday and they have alot on their plate to begin with ,we all know how much upkeep a bun needs.its not a good situation for a bunny ,unless the owner of the buns are there making sure the buns are given water ,food, and a gentle hand..
its just too many people picking up the buns the wrong way,grabbed roughly ,squeezed too tight,and dropped when the buns squirm.....we as bun owners know how tricky it can be to hold a bunny at times....now add in young CHILDREN,with lack of knowleadge about a living creature...and it spells disaster.

animals arent "props"

You're last line "animals aren't props" has stuck in my head since I've read it and the more I think of it the more I agree so I do not really know where I stand. I'm on the fence I guess. :)

Nela wrote:
You're last line "animals aren't props" has stuck in my head since I've read it and the more I think of it the more I agree so I do not really know where I stand. I'm on the fence I guess. :)
get off that fence soph !! gimme ur hand and ill pull u to this side:).

From reading these posts it seems that the stores are probably independently owned and each may treat the rabbits differently.

I think I will still write a letter encouraging the company to use fake rabbits for the safety of the rabbits. I am mostly concerned of the combination of rabbits with children. I have worked retail and I know how most children behave. (yes I am grouping children as bad but I have seen some horrible behavior).

Don't worry, it will be a calm letter stating my concern. It does not hurt to write them, maybe I'll receive a response that will make me feel better about rabbits being in the store. What I really want is a response from the company so I know if I should be angry or not :biggrin2:

I have children, have worked in retail be it a very long time ago but I shop a lot so I am in retail so to speak. Anyway, I find your comment about children in general to be kind of offensive. Most kids are good kids and very gentle with baby animals. We took our 4 week bunnies into a classroom so children could experience tiny bunnies. The bunnies seemed to love it and were not harmed. Our now 7 week bunnies run up to be picked up and jump into our laps should we ignore them. At this very moment they are chasing and being chased by 3 huge adult cats and truly enjoying themselves.

Eons ago when my oldest was 2 or 3 she had her Easter picture taken with live rabbits, the bunnies were gently placed on her lap and next to her. Neither, child or bunny were hurt. My sister had the same experience with her kids. The pictures were adorable and the bunnies went back to their good homes.

I am sorry you find my statement offensive and I do not want to start any arguments. I worked selling small pets in college which opened my eyes to many things. Children tend to get very excited, I feared for the animals at my job after several incidents that were close calls. I stopped allowing any Children to handle the animals.

Working there opened my eyes about animal welfare and the general public. It is wonderful that you know many well behaved childen, it gives me hope.

My bunny King and my bridge bunny Aretha were both model bunnies when they were young. I got them from a photographer. He didn't work for glamour snots but had his own business. He knew a lot about rabbits and took care of them. Aretha posed every time she saw a camera. They seemed to fare ok but I don't like glamour snots anyway and I doubt they know anything about rabbits. You can see my photos of Aretha, King and Edgar HERE . Aretha is the Lop King is the white and Edgar the black. Aretha and Edgar are both ATB.

I love Edgar's color, he was a beautiful bunny! And Aretha is a great name for a rabbit that posed for the camera, my dog as a child would pose when we got the camera out - so cute!

Latest posts

Back