Glamour Shots has easter bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gotta love an animal that will pose. I could tell that she didn't associate the camera with anything bad. Neither did King. I think they were handled well before I got them, they just didn't get to play much. They made up for that when I got them. I miss Edgar and Aretha they were great buns!

i agree most children cant be trusted around small, easily breakable ,animals....its not the childs fault, its either their too young to understand what hurts an animal..or if their older its their parents fault for not teaching them properly....ive been to petting zoos where supposedly the children are being monitored but do u know how many times ive seen a child squeezing a baby chick so tight its eyeballs were gonna pop out of its head...not kewl so this is a touchy subject with me...if u have a child that YOUve taught properly and think is trustworthy around a small animal...great. but MOST children ARENT GOOD with small,innocent,easily breakable animals...ill give them my pitbull to play with...they can pull and tug on her anyhow anway they want she is tough and tolerant.

I don't think the photographer that had King and Aretha let the kids hold the buns. The pictures I saw had the bun chilling beside the child.

I wish my kids were well behaved lol but sadly they are mostly normal. They have been taught and supervised from the time they were able to hold anything to be gentle and not squeeze. My experience with any kid is; if you show them how and supervise and remind to be gentle, they are capable. Especially when they want to hold and and touch little fuzzy things.

Our dog, cats and rabbits play far rougher with each other than any child that has held them. I also have good sized dogs, an airedale mix and lab/shepherd mix. One cat weighes about 20 pounds, another 15 (however he rarely moves).

No rabbit is going to tolerate being handled improperly by strangers for hours on end. We have a shelter bunny that we loaned to a photographer last easter season, and he's got some serious behavioral issues now.

I don't hold my bunnies. I'll be on the floor with them and they can hop in my lap and I'll pet them and that's as close as I get to holding them. I don't think anyone likes to be held against their will

Glamour Shots has a facebook page. You have to click "like" to post but you can then leave a comment and then "unlike" if you wish.

Not really. They get young (I was part of the campign before) bunnies from breeders. They planned on offering them to people who came in for photos at the end...

Cheyrul wrote:
I wish my kids were well behaved lol but sadly they are mostly normal. They have been taught and supervised from the time they were able to hold anything to be gentle and not squeeze. My experience with any kid is; if you show them how and supervise and remind to be gentle, they are capable. Especially when they want to hold and and touch little fuzzy things.

Our dog, cats and rabbits play far rougher with each other than any child that has held them. I also have good sized dogs, an airedale mix and lab/shepherd mix. One cat weighes about 20 pounds, another 15 (however he rarely moves).
I agree with you that if children are taught how to properly handle any small animal then they are capable. My niece has been handling small animals since she was 2 years old, she is 7 years going on 8 years at the end of this month. She knows to be very gentle with small animals and any animal for that matter.

Yes children do get excited, especially when they see any kind of animal. It is the parents job to teach them that animals are not toys, they are living things and can get hurt if they are handled roughly.

I don't think that anyone can tell how any child will be around animals when they are in any pet store. Most animals are in cages and the kids cannot touch the animals.

To say all children are BAD is offensive. Children are children and they are going to be children. They are not adults, they don't know any better when it comes to knowing how to handle small animals. They need to be taught. You cannot expect a child to behave like an adult would every single time in any place.

It is true that not every child will be bad with a rabbit and that it is the parents' responsibility to make sure their children treat rabbits well. However, in a situation like a photographer's studio, most of the children coming in will not have seen or handled a live bunny before. They will be hard to control unless they are well-behaved. Many parents do not care to teach their children proper manners, and many parents do not know proper animal handling techniques either. It is the parent's job to make sure their children have a proper respect for animals and handle them gently; unfortunately few parents do that job correctly and many poorly behaved, rough-handling children will come into the studio. The person running it either has to be very strict, which will include turning away paying customers and speaking harshly to customers' children, which few people will do.

The important thing to think about here is that we are not talking about the best child, the best bunny, and the best adults in every situation. We are talking about average or below average. The average US adult only reads at an 8th or 9th grade level, to give you an idea of average intelligence.

Our baby bunnies seem to love to be held and cuddled, they hop on us and stand on their hind legs (when we are standing) and wait for us to pick them up. The adult daddy rabbit, not so much. He prefers to run around spraying every.single.thing and trying to hump the cats (which is quite entertaining). He was also kept in an inhumane cage, imo, for at least 6 months before he came here.

how old are your babies? Mine are 5 weeks and will take hand feeding but they aren't too sure about being petted.

not intending to hijack the thread

they were born Jan 14. so I think that makes them about 7 weeks. We probably broke every rule in newborn kit ownership and touched (with clean hands rubbed with momma fur) and held the kits right away. The mom died when they had just turned four weeks (I'm still very sad about that). I started bringing them downstairs, mostly because the mom hid from them and they were pooping and peeing all over my room, when they were about 3 weeks or so. I would leave the door open so the momma could come and often brought her down too.
They seem like very happy healthy bunnies, they binky all over the place and hop up on the sofa if we are ignoring them. Tuesday I am taking them for their second health check up and to be sexed.
This past Tuesday, I had the daddy fixed, I think he is still mad at me.

I love them and especially love it when they hop up to be held and petted and lick me on the face. However, their breath is not that sweet.

LOL I sort of barter with a friend of mine from church, he is the office manager for his brother's vet clinic. I clean his condo (his wife if one of my best friends) regularly and cat sit when they go out of town - he gives me prescription cat food and allows me to see the vet in emergencies or for stuff like this. His brother, the vet is an excellent vet, very informed but a total jerk and he seems to dislike Christians so I try not to go in often. Next week my friend has it set up so I/we see the new woman vet. Also the clinic's tech (like 4 of them) raise bunnies, the first time I went in with 8 kits, I left with 6. They wanted more but I had promised 3 to a friend of my niece's and at least 2 to my kids.
From what I understand the guy who adopted the 3, loves them dearly, especially because they are so people oriented and social.
The babies we have, would be great for a photo shoot like this but I would also make sure that the photographer explained how to handle rabbits to all parents and what would be expected of the children and parents in regards to the treatment of bunnies.
It has also been my experience that most parents who are willing to shell out big bucks (I do not know anything about Glamor Shots- didn't they used to be sluttish?)for this type of shot, typically were involved parents who made good choices. Typically.

tonyshuman wrote:
It is true that not every child will be bad with a rabbit and that it is the parents' responsibility to make sure their children treat rabbits well. However, in a situation like a photographer's studio, most of the children coming in will not have seen or handled a live bunny before. They will be hard to control unless they are well-behaved. Many parents do not care to teach their children proper manners, and many parents do not know proper animal handling techniques either. It is the parent's job to make sure their children have a proper respect for animals and handle them gently; unfortunately few parents do that job correctly and many poorly behaved, rough-handling children will come into the studio. The person running it either has to be very strict, which will include turning away paying customers and speaking harshly to customers' children, which few people will do.

The important thing to think about here is that we are not talking about the best child, the best bunny, and the best adults in every situation. We are talking about average or below average. The average US adult only reads at an 8th or 9th grade level, to give you an idea of average intelligence.

This is exactly what I was trying to say. My hubby always says I am too blunt :biggrin:

I don'tthink anybodythinks children are "bad", just that most children, unless they have experience with rabbits already, do notknow how to handle one. In fact, that can be said for most adults. I had some friends come over to my house a few years ago and one of them (adult) said "Can I pick him up?" about Gulliver,and proceeded to try to pick him up by the skin on his back! She said that was how they always picked up rabbits.:?

I was at a Pet Expo yesterday and they had rabbits there in a pen with signs that said "Do Not Pick Up The Rabbits". What did I see? Tons of kids picking up the rabbits, holding them upside down, while their parents took pictures of them.
And yes, I did correct them, but got blank looks in return.
In the end, the photo wins out over respect.

As others have said, most people don't have any clue on how to act around rabbits.
And, as said before, they are not props.

Latest posts

Back