Giving wood sticks/herbs from garden, pesticides

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bengisudeveci

Reaction score
Hi, I just asked my friend to bring some dandelion, apple willow sticks from her garden to give my rabbit.Garden has been sprayed for bugs but she said it has been a while since. How long should be waited before giving something from a garden that has been spayed with pesticides?

If it's been a while and rained several times since then, that may be enough to have washed the pesticides away. But there's no way to know for sure. You could also put them in vinegar to remove any residue, then rinse in clean water before giving to your rabbit.

I would also recommend putting them in the oven for at a very low temperature for about an hour, just to kill any bacteria. I did the same with my hamster.

Putting sticks in the oven would dry the sticks out, mine ignore sticks that got dry by just being indoors for a few days. Low temperature wouldn't kill anything anyway, you would need at least 60°C, but that would kill the bark too, and dead, moist organic stuff would be a feast for bacteria if it doesn't dry out quickly anyway.
I feed whole trees over the winter, no problem whatsoever. They are even off the ground so that wild animals can't contanimate it.

Thinking about it, on the other hand, chew toys are dry, and a lot of bunnies like them. It might be that mine are just spoiled lil brats...

No, mine definitely prefer the fresh stuff too. They will nibble on the dried ones, but the fresh they will devour. Maybe mine are just spoiled brats too :p

Latest posts

Back