giving pills gently question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreddysMom

Reaction score
Okay, so vicky is going in for her spay onmonday and I am assuming they are going to provide painkillers for her.I did a lil search on pill giving to bunnies and the best thing i foundwas how Carolyn administered pills to her buns.

Carolyn you said that you just pop the pill behind their front teethbut with Fauna you have to use a cat pill popper or you will get bit. Iam figuring with Vicky I am going to have to get one of those or I maylose a finger LOL.

The difficult part tho, is she is going to be spayed so i am afraid ofputting her in a bunny burrito. So what are optional secure ways tohold her and administer her pill or a way to gently wrap her up but nottoo snug .. i dont want to put the lil girl in any more pain then sheis going to be in :(

I also wanted to ask now before on monday when i give her the pill i cant and im freaking out lol !

Thanks much!

Mine got liquid painkillers in pre-madedroppers. Do you know for sure it's going to be a pill? You could stilltry a burrito, just be gentle and not too tight. Unless you want to cutit up and mix it into something. There's not much else you can reallydo for a pill.

i dont know if its going to be a pill, but I amtrying toprepare myself for the worst so to speak. like isaid i dont want to be frantic on monday lol

Oh i also forgot to mention that i will first be trying Stephanie'smethod of putting it on banana...but I dont think vicky's going to betoo keen on eating right away

I think I would still opt for the bunnie-burrito.

She should get a sense of security by being wrapped snuggly....just not to tight.

Do be careful with the bunny burrito rabbit wrappers -- have heard of a number of broken backs using those.

Pam

You don't have to use a burrito wrap. I don'talways. I just have a good hold on them. As Buck would say, "Be theKahuna Rabbit".

Make sure that you have a good hold because you could get kicked as you're trying to get the pill popper in her mouth.

You might want to ask for help and have someone hold her while you getthat cat pill popper in her mouth and then squeeze it. Make sure thepill is small enough so that she can chew it and it won't get caught.The pill poppers work well, and they go fast once you are sure to getit in their mouth, which isn't very hard once you find the space behindtheir front teeth.

-Carolyn

I always just sat on the floor (carpeted) withthe bunny sitting between my legs. I had the bunny's reartoward my stomach and this way I could lean over the bunny and give thepill. The bunny has no where to go this way and does not gethurt.

Hope you get liquid....its easier! lol

Sharon

Yes, she won't be moving too much so it will be"easy" to geta good hold of her. I got the painkiller inliquid format, but Jordi hated it so had to force feed anyways.

This is what I do to give pills to my rabbits and it works everytime.

Mash up the pill, put a bit on some banana, give the bun the banana and watch them gobble it down.

We usually ask for pill form, because it's just much easier to trickthem this way then to force the liquid form down their throats.

Corkys were liquid when he got them thru theillness, and he loved the taste so I just dropped a couple drops on apiece of lettuce and he chowed it!

You're lucky PGG! When we *tried* to give it toValuran, well, let's just say that didn't fly. Chompers takes it ok,and Abby, but Vey is a different story.

When I give my buns their supplements, I mix itin with some pumpkin. :) My sister always teases meand says I am drugging my buns :X

Good luck to Vicky! She'll do great! And remember LOTS of treats after the spay :pheeeheeeeee

Please do drop us a line and let us know how it goes! I understand you are swamped with school.

Hugs! Krick

Our vet usually gives liquid Metacam forpain. It has a sweet taste and my bunnies always take iteasily. You can even put the drops on a lettuce leaf for themto eat.

Carolyn's method with the pill popper is really good.

I've also ground up pills and put them in a small amount of pureedcarrot or carrot baby food. Just check the sugar content onthe baby food and try for the lowest amount.

Just like Shuu said, they often give pre measured liquid painkillers after a spay. That's what they gave Amber.

What is the upshot of this, FreddysMom? Did you decide how you'll take care of it?

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back