Giving bun away

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cocoxbunny

Reaction score
Ever since I have moved to my new place, it seems like my bunny has been giving me more trouble, landlord has given a warning about pets and I'm not sure what to do anymore. The first time i gave her away i got her back after 2 weeks cause i was really missing her but now she's just really chewing on everything in the house and it's getting out of hand. With school and work I have a hard time keeping up with her and giving her all the attention she needs. I've had her for a year so she is about a year and 2 months old and she is also spayed incase anyone wanted to know.

Does anyone know where i should take her (i live in the LA area)? I want to make sure she is going to go to a loving home and to a family where they will give her attention at all times because she does not like being alone. I will be giving her cage with it as well (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0087BI9KW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20) thats the one but she's chewed on the stairs but everything else is fine. I recently bought her new food and litter so everything that she has i will be giving away.

It's really hurting me and bringing me to tears but I believe this is the best option for me right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about getting her a male bunny friend and putting them in a run attached to their cage when you are not there? Some runs are pliable and can be put away easily so that they don't take space when you are here. That would prevent her getting bored and your home being damaged...

How about getting her a male bunny friend and putting them in a run attached to their cage when you are not there? Some runs are pliable and can be put away easily so that they don't take space when you are here. That would prevent her getting bored and your home being damaged...

I don't have room for another bunny or else I'd give that a shot but my landlord is also making me get rid of her.

I don't know about your area, but House Rabbit Society might be a place to check- in California there is also Save-A-Bunny, but I'm not sure where.

Please keep in mind that all rabbit rescues in California are either at capacity or near it. There are rabbits at risk of being euthanized daily in shelters... most rescues try to give those bunnies priority. I volunteer at a rabbit rescue in Northern California and they get calls pretty much daily from people wanting to get rid of their rabbits. It's really sad because they are already full. Not to mention they get calls for help from other rescues who are trying to save bunnies on death row.

Keep that in mind before you decide to give your bunny up for chewing too much.

Why is your landlord making you get rid of her and what have you done to try and keep her? I just want to know the whole picture before making suggestions.

Regarding chewing: What does she have to chew on that isn't bad? Does she have access to hay at all times? One very simple way to make sure she doesn't chew on anything unwanted is to block off areas of importance (that is what I do) or attach a puppy pen to her cage for exercise.

It's true of here too, almost all shelters that even allow rabbits are full to capacity. My two were on euthanasia row the day I adopted each of them (they were biters which didn't help their causes :p).

It's hard to find a landlord that allows rabbits- we were homeless for three weeks waiting on the place we live now, it was one of two complexes in our city that allowed rabbits, and the only one in the city that allowed cats and rabbits. So we took the first available apartment.

I personally would never get a pet unless I KNEW I could take care of it (I'm in school full time and I work part time) and had the money for it (minimum $2,000/pet emergency stash), and had housing for it. But that's a personal pledge, and many rabbits are better off in a shelter being euthanized than being 'set free', which happens quite often (around here at least). If a person is dead set on giving up a pet, (in my experience in shelter work) it is best to direct to an appropriate shelter rather than just say no, or it's too full. My personal opinion (again) is that it's better to fall asleep and not wake up than to be eaten after running terrified for a few weeks- going hungry, etc.

Good luck with finding a new home for your rabbit! But please make sure you can actually handle a pet before you get a new one- we shelter workers/volunteers appreciate it. :p

Rabbits love to chew. It seems that female rabbits chew more than males. Chewing wood, carpet, and drywall keeps their teeth strong and healthy. Try giving her some wood blocks and wooden chew toys. Also, take her to the vet and get her teeth filed down. Rabbits' teeth continue to grow and must be filed down at regular intervals throughout their lives.

Yes, I agree before you get any pet make sure you can deal with the consequences of having to that pet up. You may never forgive yourself and feel badly about it forever. So please make sure that is your only choice and is what you really have to do. I would keep her in a dog cage where she cannot do any damage and keep an eye on while while she is out to make sure she is not destroying anything. The landlord will charge you for repairs.

Also, take her to the vet and get her teeth filed down. Rabbits' teeth continue to grow and must be filed down at regular intervals throughout their lives.

Sorry, but this is patently false. A healthy rabbit on a healthy diet should not need to get their teeth filed ever -- and certainly not regularly.

Chew blocks do nothing to grind their teeth. The only thing that wears down a bunny's teeth is the figure 8 chewing motion caused by eating hay or grass. Nothing else does this.

Only a rabbit with dental problems, like malocclusion, for instance, may need filing.

I agree with Blue eyes, rabbits shouldn't regularly need their molars trimmed. Some may as they age (e.g. over age 12 or so) but most don't ever need it before then.

Although most rabbits do not need their teeth filed regularly (with the exception of dwarfs- who are basically bred for having malocclusions :p) it is still good to have a vet regularly check those molars, just in case!

this actually came up in my recommended feed lol might help? i don't know. i agree with everyone else, please do your research before you surrender your bun!!! have you tried just locking him in a cage when your not around so he doesn't chew anything and just supervise him when you let him out? there are a lot of articles out there that might help, just gotta do some research!! :)

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpmBUQauEIA[/ame]

I agree with Blue eyes, rabbits shouldn't regularly need their molars trimmed. Some may as they age (e.g. over age 12 or so) but most don't ever need it before then.

Although most rabbits do not need their teeth filed regularly (with the exception of dwarfs- who are basically bred for having malocclusions :p) it is still good to have a vet regularly check those molars, just in case!

Good point, aging can definitely make tooth problems arise. Dunkin is 8 years old and he's going to need to have a back tooth trimmed down in the near future. The vet says it's looking long. That's why it's important to get wellness exams on your pets, especially as they get older! He's never had any previous tooth problems.

Latest posts

Back