Giant Flemish not eating :( - RIP

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeniflur

Reaction score
Our Giant Flemish Harvey hasn't been eating for a week now. We've taken him to the vets a few times. On two occasions they gave him 4 injections. Painkillers & gut stimulants I believe. He'd eat a bit when we got home but an hour later he's back to not eating. He has no interest in food at all.
We went back to the vet & they filed some of his back teeth. That was a couple of days ago & he's still the same. We're syringe feeding him Critical Care but he fights it so much. Being a big bunny, it's hard to do.
When we try to feed him his favourites, banana, kale ect he seems a little interested but it's like something is telling him not to eat. He's lost a lot of weight but seems to be happy still. A little weak but that's not surprising. We have no idea what to do & can't afford any more treatment. Blood tests along will cost £90.
Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? Advice?

I have been mixing Critical Care with baby food. Squash, Garden Veg, and Pea flavors. Usually have 2 syringes going. One with the CC pudding, and one that is just baby food and extra water.

I have also made a dough with about 1/2 cup pellets moistened in water, fine pieces of hay that I cut with scissors, and 1/2 inch slice of banana. Then I just put a little dough ball in the dish and they think its a treat.

Best wishes for you and your rabbit!

Have they done any radiographs to visualize what's going on internally? Did they suspect any tooth problems when looking in his mouth? These can make eating difficult and therefore cause poor gut motility. Do you know exactly which injections were given? Some pain meds work better than other depending on what's going on in there. When mine have had severe bouts of stasis, we've tried Metacam but they have not responded well. Once given Buprenex, they seemed to perk up and start eating. Reglan (Metoclopramide) has also been a great help in getting my guys better. I used the oral suspension and it was dosed for every 8hours. Another thing that may be helpful are sub-q fluids. When a rabbits gut isn't moving well, many times the fecal matter dries out and everything stops moving. This can be due to lack fo fluid since they aren't eating/drinking as normal. Fluids might be something you want to check with the vet on.

Thanks for the reply. They said that they can't feel anything unusual. His stomach was empty so they don't think there's any blockage. And he's still using the litter box. Not as much but that's understandable. He was drinking okay but only when we took it to him. He wouldn't go to it himself.
I know they gave him Metacam on the first two visits. When he got home he ate a fair bit of kale but an hour later he was the same again.
His teeth are now okay. Should they of given us painkillers to give to him after his teeth filing?
They said the next thing to do is blood tests but we're having trouble finding the cash for it.
Poor thing has lost weight & is looking a bit weak :(

One thing I would suggest is getting a electrolyte solution and syringe feeding him extra fluids, if he's refusing to eat he may not be drinking enough and he could be getting dehydrated and rabbits need a lot of fluids to be able to digest food properly etc...
Or if its hard to syringe feed him fluids, maybe get a electrolyte solution and puree it in a blender with some yummy fruit like banana and grape and put it in a bowl and maybe he will drink it on his own.

You said they filed his teeth, maybe he has something else going on with his teeth that they didn't see, like a abscess under the roots that is hurting him. Poor boy I hope he feels better soon.

I'm sorry to say that Harvey passed away this morning :(
I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I'll bet that Harvey was a sweet rabbit that provided you with immense joy when he was around. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

*hugs* we lost our love last week. I feel your heartache. Binky free sweet bun.

Thanks for the replies. He was our gentle giant. A soppy fluffball that lived for love & cuddles. He will be missed greatly by us & his mate Heather x

Latest posts

Back