GI statis

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ann910

Reaction score
My bunny has GI . It started when I noticed her looking unwell last Wednesday . I did the wrong thing and tried to treat myself with crushed pellets and pain killer. She looked better by 4pm and didn’t call vet. Then began looking worse again. Thursday morning she had diarrhoea and I took her to the vet . She was kept in for fluids for the day, I was given fibreplast and sent hone to feed her. The next day I syringe fed but no poops, so back to the vet on Saturday . I was given cisapride and something else (can’t remember the name and it’s rubbed off the bottle) . It’s been quite stressful and the locum vet on Saturday was good but had many very sick animals. So there was no painkiller both times. Luckily I have another rabbit who I have metacam for.
The day she started the meds she had a poop. Since then I have watched. She goes to the litter tray and doesn’t leave anything but I think there are poops from her in her bed. Difficult with 2 buns.
I have 2 questions:
1) Should I co it is with the fibreplast (only noticed today haven’t been giving enough for her weight OR will this not help?
2) The litter tray is quite dry. Usually it would be wet with both rabbits . On 2 days she had wet in the bed but haven’t noticed it today so worried about that. Could there be a urine problem? Actually it should be wet even with the other one 🤯

I have given some water in the syring . She isn’t going to the water dish but she has eaten a little today and yesterday.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

I have one days meds left to give (5 day total)

If she's not eating much on her own, are you continuing to syringe feed recovery food throughout the day? A rabbit won't get back to pooping normally if they aren't consuming enough food. And if she isn't drinking well either, then either the fluids she needs to keep hydrated needs to be added to her recovery food feedings, or the water needs to be syringed separately.

Did the vet do any xrays, and did the vet do a thorough check of her teeth?

Do you have a rectal thermometer? Temp should be above 100 when all with gut is well. Er vet said that was when she decided ruby needed to be admitted with her stasis, her temp was in the 90s.

Is your vet on the RWAF vet list? She should be on painkiller and gut stimulants until she is eating normally and the poop is normal. Also, As JBun suggested, the vet should investigate the cause. Stasis is a symptom rather than a disease in itself.

Latest posts

Back