GI Stasis

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNBunnyMom

Reaction score
Hi, I have two bunnies. Buster is just two years old and a Holland Lop and Princess is about 2 1/2 years old and a Mini Lop.

In November Buster was diagnosed with GI Stasis. His symptoms were that he was very lethargic and not eating. We brought him in and they didn't hear any bowel sounds at all.

The treatment was Metoclopramide and Enrofloxacin. (One is a antibiotic and the other a gastric mobility agent).
They injected him with the initial dose while we were there, and then we brought him home to finish the treatment. They also had us force feed with Critical Care for 24hours. He LOVED his medication, no issues at all and he started eating and being back to normal the next day.

Now...

Last week Princess started having the exact same symptoms, no bowel sounds etc. And we did the same treatment. Except, Princess doesn't like the medicine. She fights me everytime I have to pick her up to administer it. And now she won't let me or my husband get within a few feet of her without her bolting.

The other downside is that I'm not certain she is 100% back to herself. Also she has been sitting on top of one of the cages alot the last few days, and just noticed alot of spots that look like something spilt but it is white. Could she be leaking urine and it's white? One of the medicines is white and creamy, I know that bunnies can't "vomit" but could this be the medicine coming back up?

Any advice is greatly appricated!

The white stuff is probably pee. If she is in a lot of pain she may be peeing on herself. I think she needs some pain meds and gas meds. Antibiotics are not appropriate for this situation.

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.pdf

I can't give a really detailed explanation of what should be done during stasis because I am running out the door right now, but there are some good things in the Library section. I also would consider getting a rabbit vet who is up with current treatment. Is this vet on the lists on our website? We have extensive lists of good rabbit vets in the Infirmary section. If it is an emergency vet they may be doing a dog/cat treatment protocol, which is what this sounds like, and it is not appropriate. #1 thing should be sub-cutaneous fluids, #2 should be pain meds, #3 should be gas meds and/or motility drugs (not all people agree with the use of motility drugs), #4 should be a probiotic, and #5 should be force feeding. Hydration is the most important thing for stasis.

Thanks for your reply. My regular bunny vet is listed on the vet list, but the emergency vet is not. I think I'll bring her in on Monday for a check up.

Right now I'm having a issue even picking her up to give her meds to her. She runs and hides where I can't get to her!

(first mistake is not picking her up on a regular basis when we first adopted her from the shelter)

Thanks again!! I'll let you know what our vet says!

My rabbit has the same thing, the vet is doing all the right things you describe. Now he has a bulging eyeball.

110 ml of saline IV 6 tablespoons of critical care , pain meds mobility drugs,Force feeding, a tone of stuff. is the eye bulge related?

I wouldn't do any gut moblility drugs.. They cause more harm than good. There is obviously an underlying problem.. It could be a bacteria or a tooth problem or even a sinus issue...These need to be cultured I would imagine to be determined.

What I would do is Critical Care couple times a day, I did like a tsp. My bun loves it. You can also feel free to feed Romaine or parsley is good for the gut too. Make sure hay is being consumed at the normal rate. Fresh pineapple is great to give also. Otherwise, you may need to introduce a Probiotic to get the gut going again. I got one from my vet. So, just keep monitoring..

Keep us posted, but most of all keep your vet on quick dial.

I agree with angelnsnuffy. The bulging eyeball is a real problem--indicates pressure on the eye socket. That can be tooth root infection or some other growth in the head area. A head x-ray should be done to figure out what is causing it. The eye bulge is probably the cause of the GI stasis--the distress and pain from whatever is causing it.

Latest posts

Back