GI stasis!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imogen Glass

Reaction score
Hi I am look for advice on GI stasis if anyone else has experienced this. Yesterday morning my rabbit ingested 2-4 custard creams after escaping. Toward the end of the day he seemed unwell and less active. He wouldn’t eat and seemed quite clammy and bloated. After giving him lots of critical care and belly massages into the early hours of this morning he seemed better but still grumpy however was drinking lots and ate some veggies and nuggets. He now has diarrhoea and has been sitting in a loaf position most the night I have just given him some more critical care but does anyone else have advice on anything else that might help?

Since he is having diarrhea I would take him to the vet soon. Hope everything goes well😊

There isn’t a rabbit vet close to me 😩 they all just do cats or dogs hence why I’ve been trying to treat him at home

True diarrhea (where the fecal poop is watery or pudding like and it's not just the cecals coming out pasty) and stomach bloat are both an immediate emergency and you need to get your rabbit to the vet without delay. There's nothing else to do.

True stomach bloat is extremely serious and can cause stomach rupture or cardiac/respiratory arrest if not treated promptly. Syringe feeding a rabbit with stomach bloat is contraindicated and could prove very harmful as it increases the stomach pressure which is already causing serious complications.

Medirabbit: bacterial enteritis

(WARNING: link contains extremely graphic medical related photos)
Medirabbit: weaning diarrhea (described in young rabbits, but elements still applicable to adult rabbits)

And if there's the pathogenic bacteria clostridium involved causing the diarrhea, this can be fatal in a very short time without the proper meds metronidazole and questran(cholestyramine), and some IV or sub q fluids. Activated charcoal or kaolin may be used in a pinch in place of questran to bind the bacterial toxins, until the bun can be gotten to the vets, and good hydration to accompany the med or supplement is also important as it absorbs fluids, but getting bun to the vet right away is absolutely essential. I know there's a vet good with rabbits at Twickenham Vets. They might be the closest to you, or check the list to see if there mght be another closer.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-...abbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/

Last edited:
thank you so much, he has eaten a lot and perked up this morning and droppings are better so I will check with parents and decide what to do

Latest posts

Back