GI Stasis - recovery tips

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylor_wt

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My 2 year old Holland Lop wasn’t eating/pooping and was frequently laying his belly down. I’ve done my research on GI stasis and how it can quickly get dangerous so I took action right away and took him to the vet. Unfortunately he does have GI stasis, but thankfully there’s no severe blockage. He was put on meds and is home now and seems to be doing much better so far. He finally pooped a little bit and is beginning to eat a little. So, I’m wondering if anyone has any advice/tips on a smooth recovery.

This is his first time dealing with this and not quite sure how it happened since nothing has changed in his diet, so maybe tips on prevention too?

Thanks so much in advance!

What is his age and what is his usual daily diet?

At the first sign of refusing food, I give my rabbits simethicone. One dose is usually enough to get them feeling better again. It's my first go-to.

What is his age and what is his usual daily diet?

At the first sign of refusing food, I give my rabbits simethicone. One dose is usually enough to get them feeling better again. It's my first go-to.

He’s 2 years old and he has access to Timothy hay 24/7 and gets 1/8 cup pellets at night. Most days he gets either some basil or cilantro, as well as an occasional sweet treat (either 1/2 banana chip, small piece of strawberry, or a blueberry).

Thanks so much for your response! I will definitely look into that.

He’s 2 years old and he has access to Timothy hay 24/7 and gets 1/8 cup pellets at night. Most days he gets either some basil or cilantro, as well as an occasional sweet treat (either 1/2 banana chip, small piece of strawberry, or a blueberry).

Thanks so much for your response! I will definitely look into that.
I would drop the fruit. Keep going with the meds and try to minimise stress, he should be OK in a few days.

If you only got one rabbit you can do belly massage like twice a week or even every day, it really helps and does not involve any medicine which is great. Here's a video but you don't have to do it on a table, I hold my rabbits on my belly and just massage their sides with my fingers pushing side to side and round movements, I can feel with my fingers what is inside of their bellies and if there is any blockage I work on it moving it side to side and gently massaging with my both hands. But if you try what is in this video you can get the idea and then you can try different techniques and you will find what is most suitable for you and your rabbit and it is also very good rabbits love it and take it as grooming and will love you more for it.

Also you can make some fennel or dill seed tea and use as grip water instead of gas drops, it helps, just have seeds at hand (you can by from food store) and brew some fresh every time (filter seeds, no sugar or honey etc). Some rabbits would drink it and will like it, or you can give as drops

If you only got one rabbit you can do belly massage like twice a week or even every day, it really helps and does not involve any medicine which is great. Here's a video but you don't have to do it on a table, I hold my rabbits on my belly and just massage their sides with my fingers pushing side to side and round movements, I can feel with my fingers what is inside of their bellies and if there is any blockage I work on it moving it side to side and gently massaging with my both hands. But if you try what is in this video you can get the idea and then you can try different techniques and you will find what is most suitable for you and your rabbit and it is also very good rabbits love it and take it as grooming and will love you more for it.

Also you can make some fennel or dill seed tea and use as grip water instead of gas drops, it helps, just have seeds at hand (you can by from food store) and brew some fresh every time (filter seeds, no sugar or honey etc). Some rabbits would drink it and will like it, or you can give as drops

This is very helpful! Thanks so much!

Latest posts

Back