GI stasis or depression?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FoggyForest

Reaction score
Some time ago we tried to bond our bunny Bandit with a girl bun named Havyn. It didn't work out, and Havyn moved to our neighbor's house, a street down. After she went away, Bandit was totally fine. He didn't seem sad, or depressed. He ate normally, played adorably, did zoomies on my bed at 3am, and did cute regular bunny stuff. Havyn left about 2weeks ago. But today, I woke up and started getting ready to go to church, cared for Bandit, etc. When I filled the food up, Bandit wasn't there. I searched the house and found him huddled underneath a chair. He had pooped all over the carpet (the poops looked normal, no string-of-pearls, just slightly bigger than usual), and when I came close and rubbed his head affectionately he ran into a corner and shoved his face behind the curtain. He wasn't tooth grinding (just a bit when I brought water to him), wasn't grunting or honking either. Felt his tummy, he didn't rlly object, just sat there loafed. He drank a little water, but he ate nothing. No banana. No pellet food. No blueberries (his fave food!). I'm worried. He's lethargic and won't move, won't play. help plz! 🐰🐰

Possibly the start of stasis. I will usually try some baby gas drops if there is no bloated stomach and no diarrhea, or any other very critical symptoms. Then after the third dose(each dose an hour apart) if my rabbit isn't doing better or their condition worsens, at that point I will want to get them to the vet. But most of the time the gas drops have worked and the rabbit is back to eating normally. Also it's important to make sure they are warm and not chilled as a cold rabbit is less inclined to want to eat. And it can help to give gentle tummy massages and encourage the bunny to get moving and hop around.

https://rabbit.org/gastrointestinal-stasis-the-silent-killer-2/

Possibly the start of stasis. I will usually try some baby gas drops if there is no bloated stomach and no diarrhea, or any other very critical symptoms. Then after the third dose(each dose an hour apart) if my rabbit isn't doing better or their condition worsens, at that point I will want to get them to the vet. But most of the time the gas drops have worked and the rabbit is back to eating normally. Also it's important to make sure they are warm and not chilled as a cold rabbit is less inclined to want to eat. And it can help to give gentle tummy massages and encourage the bunny to get moving and hop around.

https://rabbit.org/gastrointestinal-stasis-the-silent-killer-2/

Thank you very much, I'll try that.

Latest posts

Back