Gi stasis, lumps in tummy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BonbonandJujubee

Reaction score
I just got my bunny home, last night, from being at the vet for 2 days, he had GI stasis and an infection. He ate when he came home and pooped overnight. Today he has only had 2 poops this morning (it is now about 9 hours later since those poops) and stopped eating. when I give him tummy massages I feel lumps throughout his whole stomach, Im kinda freaking out. I have been syringe feeding critical care but when I called the vet about this they said to stop. I think he has at least been passing gas. I can’t drive him to the vet because my car is broken and my parents can’t come until tomorrow night. I’ve been doing all the meds they have prescribe. Does anyone know what to do to help him poop

Why did the vet tell you to stop syringe feeding? Had you been doing regular syringe feeds since last night(every 4-6 hours)? What medications did the vet prescribe?

The lumpiness you're feeling in the stomach may just be the fecal poop in the digestive tract.

Why did the vet tell you to stop syringe feeding? Had you been doing regular syringe feeds since last night(every 4-6 hours)? What medications did the vet prescribe?

The lumpiness you're feeling in the stomach may just be the fecal poop in the digestive tract.
She didn’t explain why to stop. She just said that based on what I had explained to her she wanted me to stop and syringe feed some water instead. I’ve been doing lots of reading and just gave him Water and then gave him 2 ml of extra watery critical care because I know they need a pretty constant supply of food.

He is on metronidazol, omeprazole, orbax(orbifloxacin),and entyce. I’m worried about the lumps because some feel really large. but he doesn’t seem to be in pain.

I’ve heard lots of good things about simethicone helping with gas but I’m worried about that causing problems with his other meds.

I’m trying to give him lots of pets and time alone to help with stress but he hates syringe feeding. he is also still coming off some pain meds which have made him sleepy and I don’t know what I should be watching for right now other than him pooping and eating.

Did the vet not send any meloxicam(anti inflammatory pain relief) or a gut stimulant(metoclopramide, cisapride) home for your bun?

The only reason I could see the vet telling you to stop syringe feeding is if your rabbit had bloat. But if this was the case, then the vet shouldn't be telling you to syringe water either, and should be telling you to get your rabbit in immediately to be seen as bloat is an emergency. If he does have bloat then yes, all syringe feeding needs to be stopped. It would feel like there's an inflated balloon just below the ribs, and your rabbit would likely be loud tooth grinding and shaking.

If you feel your rabbit does have some minor gas but not bloat, simethicone(baby gas drops) is sometimes recommended. I use it initially whenever I have a rabbit that stops eating.

https://rabbit.org/gastrointestinal-stasis-the-silent-killer-2/
What type of infection is your rabbit being treated for? Is your vet on the rabbit savvy vet list?

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

They only sent me home with what I had listed and the critical care. I don’t think it is bloat, I wasn’t able to speak with the normal vet because she wont be there until tomorrow morning, so I’m just kind of stuck by myself right now on this, And the vet that treated him isn’t on that list. I think I’ll try to get some of the simethicone.

I saw him drink water on his own! That makes me a lot less worried. And I managed to get simethicone and used the dosing on that article, ill try to give updates and ask for advice. Thank you!

Any knowledgeable rabbit vet knows to prescribe take home pain meds(meloxicam) and a gut stimulant when a rabbit has GI stasis. I don't like them giving narcotic pain meds as it has the opposite effect as needed. Instead of helping eating and pooping, it makes rabbits digestion slow down even more and makes them too drowsy that they are less inclined to eat. So I would suggest requesting meloxicam and a gut stimulant from the vet tomorrow. And for future vet trips, I would recommend finding a vet on that list that is near you.

Also, tonight make sure your rabbit is staying warm. A cold hypothermic rabbit won't eat, and rabbits in GI stasis usually get chilled. I check by feeling their ears and if they feel really cold, I provide a rabbit safe warm pack(sock filled with rice and warmed in microwave, not too hot) for them to snuggle up next to.

Any knowledgeable rabbit vet knows to prescribe take home pain meds(meloxicam) and a gut stimulant when a rabbit has GI stasis. I don't like them giving narcotic pain meds as it has the opposite effect as needed. Instead of helping eating and pooping, it makes rabbits digestion slow down even more and makes them too drowsy that they are less inclined to eat. So I would suggest requesting meloxicam and a gut stimulant from the vet tomorrow. And for future vet trips, I would recommend finding a vet on that list that is near you.

Also, tonight make sure your rabbit is staying warm. A cold hypothermic rabbit won't eat, and rabbits in GI stasis usually get chilled. I check by feeling their ears and if they feel really cold, I provide a rabbit safe warm pack(sock filled with rice and warmed in microwave, not too hot) for them to snuggle up next to.
Thanks, I’ll keep him warm. And I’m definitely going to look at some other vets

Latest posts

Back