GI Stasis/Ileus weekly/bi-weekly

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We did that for 2 days (stopping CC when she started eating large amount hay) and then she started losing weight. Went down from 1300g to 1277g.

We did that for 2 days (stopping CC when she started eating large amount hay) and then she started losing weight. Went down from 1300g to 1277g.
23g difference is within normal daily variation of weight, probably not related to stopping the CC.

A different vet who we can contact directly will call us soon. She examined the papers and the xray. It might be she will take a look at her tomorrow.

No conclusion can be made from the blood test according to the other vet. She wants to examine her. So I'm taking her today to the vet.

So I've waited a bit time. According to the Vet her belly is okay, not in pain.

The pellett could cause these episodes she is having. So we will change the pelletts slowly.

So I've waited a bit time. According to the Vet her belly is okay, not in pain.

The pellett could cause these episodes she is having. So we will change the pelletts slowly.
Well done taking her to another vet. Our vets who teach rabbit medicine at one of the best vet schools in the world advise thinking of pellets as treats and not to give more than 1tbsp a day. In fact they rarely give their own bunnies pellets. You could just drop the pellets for a while and see how she gets on. Best of luck!

So we were at the vet hospital who does the ultrasound, and they did it. They found a 3-4 cm gut enlargement. This is the same diagnose they found in last october. This is something that can cause IBD.
So yeah, that's that. We have forwarded this to our vet, now we are awaiting her response.

I'm glad she is on the road to recovery! It seems that this is happening with my rabbit so I am going to take him off pellets and see if it helps. I have really liked reading through this thread because it has been helpful for me!

Right now we are forced to feed her the pelletts and change it to a different one, due to weigh loss.

You're having GI Stasis on a returning basis?
Yes. He got sick, we took him to the vet, and they gave us Reglan (for one week) and Critical Care (for if he stopped eating). After 3 weeks of pineapple juice, papaya, veggies, lots of hay, and a small number of pellets, he passed a ton of fur and got better.
A week later he relapsed and has been sick again for 2 weeks. He hates being groomed and I don't have a good brush so he got full of fur again. I didn't have the money to take him back to the vet, so I called and they prescribed Reglan. He has been getting the same things I gave him last time, but I have been grooming him with a toothbrush to get some of that fur off him (the toothbrush works really well, weirdly). He is getting tons of exercise and seems to be doing great, but I'm scared it will relapse again. When I saw what Jbun had said I thought "I have got to get him off those pellets!" I hope it is just a pellet issue.

^ How much hay does he eat every day? What else besides the hay and those pellets does he eat daily?
He is a BIG hay eater, and it is just timothy hay. He gets veggies when I can afford them, which is often. He will sometimes eat cardboard and paper, along with maple tree branches and some weeds from in my yard.

He is a BIG hay eater, and it is just timothy hay. He gets veggies when I can afford them, which is often. He will sometimes eat cardboard and paper, along with maple tree branches and some weeds from in my yard.

It's great he's a good hay eater. With the greens, however, what's up with those? Is it consistent? Is it every day? Does the amount vary? And do you know for sure the types of weeds?

I was just trying to figure out what could be causing problems. Rabbits don't do well with changes so if they get a couple cups worth of greens for a few days and then don't get any, that could potentially cause issues.

It could also be the pellets, but if the greens are too varied with feeding and not feeding, then the issue may have nothing to do with the pellets.

It's great he's a good hay eater. With the greens, however, what's up with those? Is it consistent? Is it every day? Does the amount vary? And do you know for sure the types of weeds?

I was just trying to figure out what could be causing problems. Rabbits don't do well with changes so if they get a couple cups worth of greens for a few days and then don't get any, that could potentially cause issues.

It could also be the pellets, but if the greens are too varied with feeding and not feeding, then the issue may have nothing to do with the pellets.
I try to keep veggies a consistent as possible, just sometimes I forget to buy them, or just don't have the money that week. If I don't have the money I will pull some veggies out of our fridge (Theo has his own for veggies) and give those to him, but my mom prefers I buy his. It is mostly just romaine, cilantro, parsley, bell pepper, cucumber, and sometimes bok choy. I will normally wash up some and then separate them into 2 or 3 piles and feed him those for the next 2 or 3 days.
The pellets are a little old and might have already expired :oops:(whoops), but I threw away the bag they came in so I don't know what the date was on them. I only have a few pellets left and was already planning on swapping him to a better brand before this started happening. I don't mind tossing the pellets and going ahead and swapping him over to the new ones. This is the first time I have actually thought about expired pellets possible being the issue.

For fur problems: oxbow digestive support. Give 1 per day (or 2 if extreme long fur and shedding season). and of course grooming.

As for my bunny: surgery it is probably………..
First we try to get a sample from the gut if that's possible. Right now my vet is asking the Ultrasound collegaue whether she is comfortable with extracting a sample from the bunny. So now i'm waiting for that.

She has gone through already so much….She probably hates living with us.

For fur problems: oxbow digestive support. Give 1 per day (or 2 if extreme long fur and shedding season). and of course, grooming.

As for my bunny: surgery it is probably………..
First, we try to get a sample from the gut if that's possible. Right now my vet is asking the Ultrasound colleague whether she is comfortable with extracting a sample from the bunny. So now I'm waiting for that.

She has gone through already so much….She probably hates living with us.
Thanks for the advice! I will get some.

Your poor rabbit! The first time Theo got sick and I had to force-feed him, he hated me for a week. I gave him lots of cuddles and attention and spent lots of time with him so that our bond could re-build. Try that with your rabbit if you aren't already.

Latest posts

Back