Gi-stasis: Help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He used the bathroom again so I got some pictures for you @zuppa.

I got some more pictures to describe how he is acting. So in detail of what I just did: I go outside and find him sitting in a hunched position by the hay basket eating (YAY). I give him his Reglan and some gas drops because I am going to bed and don't want him to be in pain during the night. I then let him out of the playpen to run around while I give him fresh water and see if he used the litter box. He doesn't come out of the playpen right away which is normal. The water bottle that I have out there to refill his water bowls is empty so I run to the house and refill it. When I come back with a filled water bottle he is running around the shed like nothing is wrong with him.

Attachments

• IMG_20200320_201842.jpg
    IMG_20200320_201842.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20200320_202135.jpg
    IMG_20200320_202135.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 13
He used the bathroom again and all of his poops were normal, there are just so few. He had also eaten some hay, but not a lot. How long will it be until he is back to eating and using the bathroom normally? I'm weaning him off the Reglan and he will get his last dose tomorrow morning. He is still sitting in that hunched position when he is in his cage, but then when I let him out he runs around like he is not sick at all. When I put him back in his cage he sits in that position again. Any ideas on why he keeps sitting like that?

Last edited:
I got a picture of how he is sitting. Is he in pain or just comfortable? He sits like this and then he will run around like nothing is wrong with him. Any ideas why he is doing this?

Attachments

• IMG_20200321_122127.jpg
    IMG_20200321_122127.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20200321_122120.jpg
    IMG_20200321_122120.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20200321_122206.jpg
    IMG_20200321_122206.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 17
Boiling the water kills any germs or bacteria. Also if he eating his hay now try slowing down on the gas drops too many can actually be bad... It's like overdose. Let us know how is is now though

Also he could just knownyou give him extra attention when he is sick so maybe he is better but still wants the extra attention...I don't really know at this point.

He could possibly be uncomfortable, but if he acts like nothings wrong running, he might be just sleepy it looks like day time in the photo. My Shadow sits in a loaf like that when she’s tired and snoozing off. I’ll be praying for Theo:)

Thank you for all of your help! I think he has me in his little rabbit paws. He is probably sitting like that because he knows it worries me and I will let him out to run around. I haven't given him any more gas drops since 12 and it is now 2:30, and I won't give him anymore for the rest of today and see how he is tomorrow. I would take him completely off of Reglan right now, but you have to wean rabbits off Reglan so their body gets adjusted to it.

He was just pushing his stomach up against the ground which means he has gas pain. I don't think he has Gi-stasis because he would eat if the pain would go away. I just can't figure out how to get it to go away. The gas drops work, but he has already had so many of them so I can't give him any more. And I gave him a tummy massage but he hates them and they don't seem to do anything. I have read that apple cider vinegar helps with gas, has anyone used it before? I am really just trying to figure out how to relieve some of his pain.

Thanks for asking shad2000!

At 5 P.M. I gave him some gas drops because he had been sitting in the hunched position almost all day, and I also gave him a tummy massage which he hated but I could tell it helped him. I had weaned him off pellets 3 weeks ago but today I gave him 1/8 cup just to see if he would eat them because he has barely eaten any hay today, and he loved them!

I went to check on him at 7 and he was running around his playpen and eating hay! It was the first time he had not been sitting in that hunched position when I checked on him for a week! He had also pooped, and though they were smaller than normal they were not the super tiny hard ones. I think the massage, gas drops, and pellets helped him out :D!

I just went to check on him because it is 9 and I have been checking on him every two hours at night. He was sitting in that position, but after stretching he came to say "HI" and was super friendly. He had also pooped again and they were just a little bit smaller then they should be, but not as small as last time. When I left the shed he was eating hay so I know he is feeling better! I just hope he is not going to take a step back again because I feel like he is taking one step forward only to take 2 backward.

I'm going to give him a tummy massage before I go to bed to make sure that he is not in pain tonight. I have been reading every article out there about "rabbits with gas pain" and I am mostly reading that you need to give them gas drops and pain medicine so I might give him an aspirin tomorrow if he is still sitting hunched and pressing his tummy to the floor.

Last edited:
I am so happy he is better! I will be praying for you the next few weeks, I really do hope he is getting better and will easily be fully recovered soon!

Thanks for asking shad2000!

At 5 P.M. I gave him some gas drops because he had been sitting in the hunched position almost all day, and I also gave him a tummy massage which he hated but I could tell it helped him. I had weaned him off pellets 3 weeks ago but today I gave him 1/8 cup just to see if he would eat them because he has barely eaten any hay today, and he loved them!

I went to check on him at 7 and he was running around his playpen and eating hay! It was the first time he had not been sitting in that hunched position when I checked on him for a week! He had also pooped, and though they were smaller than normal they were not the super tiny hard ones. I think the massage, gas drops, and pellets helped him out :D!

I just went to check on him because it is 9 and I have been checking on him every two hours at night. He was sitting in that position, but after stretching he came to say "HI" and was super friendly. He had also pooped again and they were just a little bit smaller then they should be, but not as small as last time. When I left the shed he was eating hay so I know he is feeling better! I just hope he is not going to take a step back again because I feel like he is taking one step forward only to take 2 backward.

I'm going to give him a tummy massage before I go to bed to make sure that he is not in pain tonight. I have been reading every article out there about "rabbits with gas pain" and I am mostly reading that you need to give them gas drops and pain medicine so I might give him an aspirin tomorrow if he is still sitting hunched and pressing his tummy to the floor.

Great! At least he’s pooping, eating and greeting you :) glad he’s doing better.

I checked on him last night at 11 and there were some tiny poops, but at least he was using the bathroom! All today I have been checking in on him and mostly he has been sitting in that hunched position. I gave him some gas drops and they kinda worked, but even then he was sitting hunched up. I have seen him eating all day and I know that is a great sign, but there has been only some playing. I can tell he is getting a little better every day!

I'm going to give him a dose of aspirin for the pain because it is not going away and just hope it works. Should I dissolve it in water or give it to him? I think he will eat it because it smells very good.
Do I need to keep giving him gas drops every 3-8 hours since he is still sitting hunched and not wanting to move? Will rabbits pass gas on there own, or do I have to give him the gas drops to get the bubbles to pass?

Let me know if I am totally wrong about this, but I was just reading that bad bacteria from Gi-stasis can cause gas in a rabbit's stomach. I bet Theo has that bacteria because he just had stasis, and that is why he keeps getting gassy. Is there a way to get rid of those bacteria?

I got a picture of how he is sitting. Is he in pain or just comfortable? He sits like this and then he will run around like nothing is wrong with him. Any ideas why he is doing this?
He's so beautiful! I think he's just sitting comfortably, I don't know why you think he has GI stasis, was it confirmed by a vet or you decided so because of his pose?

Thank you! He does look comfy, but he has pushed his stomach to the floor and has not come when called and is just acting off. It has not been vet confirmed because I cannot get him into the vet because of Covid-19. He also starts feeling better when I give him gas drops but they don't help long term with gas, only for a short period of time.

He had this same thing happen in January and we took him to the vet. They did not seem very helpful and didn't give me answers. It took over 3 weeks of natural treatments and he finally got better. But he was only better for a week before he got sick again. I didn't take him into the vet then because they were not helpful before, and I couldn't spend that kind of money again. It has now been 3 weeks since he got sick for the second time and I have got to give him some relief because I love him so much and hate seeing him in pain. Before January nothing like this had ever happened and I had had him for 2 1/2 years, so I am so confused about why it is happening now.

Latest posts

Back