Gi Stasis? Help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krissy

Reaction score
Hi, I posted on here yesterday about my 2 bunnies, I received some answers but now it seems different. My white 4-year-old rabbit has been in some discomfort for 2 days, she did show signs of gi stasis but then began to eat and poo and play as usual but still won't let me touch her. She still is showing normal behaviour except when I pat her ( rub her belly )or put my hands in her cage she attacks/ bites me, I'm worried there may be something else wrong with her, I plan to take her to the vet but I want to know if it's normal for rabbits to have GI stasis but show no symptoms? I am really concerned about her. Please help!

I am glad you are taking your rabbit to a vet. I have a rabbit that attacks when I put my hand in his cage when he is not feeling well. He has teeth problems, so when he attacks, I know it is time to see the vet again. Let us know what the vet says.

Not with GI stasis. GI stasis isn't a condition but the result of another health problem causing the rabbits gut to slow down. And the result of this is small or no poops, and usually a reduced appetite or stops eating altogether.

But it's possible for a rabbit to have an underlying health problem that can cause a sudden unusual change of behavior, and may or may not result in GI stasis as well. Like a rabbit that has always been happy and friendly is suddenly grumpy and aggressive. consistently though. Every rabbit can have an off day, but when it's happening for several days in a row, there very well could be something wrong.

Has your rabbits behavior only changed when you're approaching her in her cage or feeding/cleaning her cage? Does she behave like this with you when she's out of her cage? Has any of her other behavior changed? Is she less active, more withdrawn, subdued, any changes in grooming or anything else different that you've noticed? Or does she run, binky, and play when she is running around out of her cage? How long ago was her previous bout with GI stasis?

Nugget was a nightmare with gut stasis almost every couple of months. I have kept it at bay almost 99% for a few years apart from the odd issue by using Excel Dual-Care. Its amazing stuff and can be made into a nice runny paste with warm water for syringe feed too. Now he has a tea spoon of these with his evening meal and it keeps him moving nice and regular but too many and the carpet looks like an airport runway with skid marks. But it really is recommended for any bunny with tummy issues.

Update : She's still eating and pooping fine, ive pat her a little but shes still making grunts/ honking sounds at me, especially when i touch her back. just wondering if a rabbit has something stuck within their intestines can they still pass poo/ stools as usual or would there be non at all? my rabbit has chewed bedding up but never looked like she swallowed it, i did find pieces within her cage but not 100% sure. I have not taken her to the vet as yet because shes not showing the signs of pain, just more of dont touch me im angry with you. I am keeping an eye on her every hour to make sure nothing has changed in her behaviour, But still plan to get a vets view.

Update : She's still eating and pooping fine, ive pat her a little but shes still making grunts/ honking sounds at me, especially when i touch her back. just wondering if a rabbit has something stuck within their intestines can they still pass poo/ stools as usual or would there be non at all? my rabbit has chewed bedding up but never looked like she swallowed it, i did find pieces within her cage but not 100% sure. I have not taken her to the vet as yet because shes not showing the signs of pain, just more of dont touch me im angry with you. I am keeping an eye on her every hour to make sure nothing has changed in her behaviour, But still plan to get a vets view.
if tummy feels like a firm balloon then its compacted, if it feels loose like a very empty pillow then its clear. Best advice is get someone to look and touch with qualified hands. Im sure we have all had many trips to the vets that have turned into nothing to worry about……. But there are dark sad posts on here where they didnt go to the vets and end up in a situation that could have been avoided. Please never try to diagnose your bunny on your own unless you really really know your bunny.

Latest posts

Back