Getting Water To The Buns

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfritzp

Reaction score
I always use a dish for water, but I started having the problem of them (I have TWO) drinking the bowl dry during the night.
Of course - this made me feel guilty, which I am convinced is their aim in life...:brat:
So, I put in a bottle for back-up, and always top off the bowl last thing at night.
They still would empty the bowl (about 10 oz) but seemed incabable ofusing the bottle - though I showed them how time and time again.

So I began to look for a system like those automatic water bowls forcats and dogs. Something that would give them fresh clean waterwhenever they wanted it (you know what you find floating in thosebowls:foreheadsmack: )
They were all too big though.
Then - I found this in a poultry supply website: A 'Pop Bottle Fount'
The Stromberg web site had the best price - $5.50 - and no shipping
http://www.strombergschickens.com/products/fount_chick.htm
If this link works, it's towards the bottom of the page

I decided to try it.
It is working very well - after the initial reaction of Nicky - "What'sthis doing here? Get it out of my house" Resulting in soda bottleflying and two wet buns...:mad:

I now have it well anchored in the cage.
I have a 20oz bottle on it, but you can use bigger or smaller.
They seem very happy with it (as I am) and they seem to be drinkingmore water then ever. It's like having a bowl with the conveinence andcleanliness of a bottle.

Oh that's awesome!! I'm going to get one for Misty cause she doesn't like the bottle and insists on standing in her water bowl.

Nadia

They still would empty the bowl (about 10oz) but seemed incabable of using the bottle - though I showed them howtime and time again.

Heehee...somehow I get this mental picture of you on the floor licking at the water bottle!

Nice setup you have now.

Well, not quite on the floor - I'd never be able to get up!!!:colors:

But I always remember my first rabbit, VW, about 20 years ago now.
I got him - or the responsibilty of him - by no choice of my own. Iknew NOTHING about rabbits, and he must have known he was smarter thenme, because he was just the smartest critter I had ever seen.
I had a bowl in his cage to start with, and he would knock it over, pee in it, ect.
So I bought him a bottle.
He sat watching me attaching it to the cage.
Then I picked him up and sat him in front of it.
I told him "you lick here" - and I pointed to the metal spout - "to get a drink".
I stood back and watched, as he carefully studied the whole set up, and then took a very long drink of water.
He really spoiled me, because whatever I would tell him to do, or whereto go, he'd do it. I thought that was normal behavior for a rabbit.
Until I got my next rabbit - Muggs.
Oh Lord she was as dumb as a box of sticks! But I loved her just as much.
The two I have now either are dumb, or are constantly ignoring me...
I haven't decided which...

The two I have now either are dumb, or are constantly ignoring me...
I haven't decided which...
What? Nobody told you that most rabbits come with 'tudes?:cool:If they give you the butt, you'll know they are notbeing dumb...

Hey!!!! :tantrum:I bought one of those two a long time ago and I couldn't get the dern thing to work!!!

Any pressure on the bottle would cause the water tooverflowand pour out the little metal bit and the bottle would collapse!! Whatkind of bottle are you using? I think ours was sprite :D

Megan

I'm using a plastic spring water bottle - 20oz - but it's tall (about 11in) but skinny. It doesn't 'stick out' too much.
They say you can put any size bottle, but I would think a HUGE bottle would be a bit top heavy and hard to secure to the cage.
They come with a spring band to attach to to the cage, but I had an extra one and put two aroun the bottle to secure it.
The fount (the metal piece) has to be perfectly FLAT in order for thewater to flow into it. It took me awhile to set up - but it's workinggreat now that I have the hang of it.

Thanks for posting. I might look into getting that for my bunnies. :bunnydance:

Meganc731 wrote:
.... two a long time ago and I couldn't get the dern thing to work!!!
Errrrr... re-reading my post :embarrassed:two I speltincorrectly by accident, dern I spelt incorrectly on purpose :D hehehe

Anyway, If I can find my metal bit, I think I'll try it with a waterbottle like you have. I bought it for my dog actually, she has a beardand she gets it drenched every time she drinks. I thought because thishas such a small water surface that it might keep her dryer.

Megan

Latest posts

Back