Getting into Showing - Mini Rex maybe?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happi Bun

Reaction score
I miss having a fun, animal related, hobby. I showed horses for a few years a long while back but it got way too expensive so I had to get out of it. Since I've had rabbits I've only been active/interested in Rescuing. Lately I've been looking into Showing. I have no interest in breeding, just the showing part. I'm just looking to have fun and win here and there, not anything big. There seems to be plenty of shows within driving distance and every year we have the big California State Fair locally that always has a big open rabbit show. I wouldn't have a bunch of shows rabbits either, just one.

Is it even worth spending the money, showing one bunny?

There is a local rabbitry that has a 4 year old broken Mini Rex for sale. He already has 1 leg, not sure how much he has been shown. He is supposedly very sweet and loves to be held. Sire is Red Hots Sultan and Dam is C-S Lots A Dots. His current owner says he would be a great rabbit for a beginner show person like me? Here s a picture of him, though it's not of him in 'show pose' so I'm looking for a critique, just in general.

a000417f.jpg

I sent an email asking for a posed picture, even though I'm supposed to go see him Friday. I've been researching the standard of perfection for Mini Rex but I'm such a newbie it would be great to have a posed pic to share with you all experienced folk.

I would look at getting a younger rabbit if you just want to show instead of breeding. Usually the younger rabbits do better on the show table. Also, bucks hold condition longer than does, so if you just want one, go for a buck.

If there are plenty of shows in your area, it shouldn't be too expensive to show. Entry fees are usually about $2-5 per rabbit, then you just have gas per show. You'll want an ARBA membership (annual or 3-years at a time), and if the bun gets three legs, probably register him, and then register for the grand championship (although he can continue to show after championship). You'll probably also want an all-wire carrying cage, so people can see him when you're at a carrying cage show. Other than that, costs are just the costs of owning a rabbit.

Showing isn't as cost-effective for me, since I'm an average 4 hour drive from most shows (there's two shows in town every year, two to four within a 2-3 hour drive, and everything else is 5-8 hour drive (that I'll go to).

One question though: if you're just going to show, are you going to offer the buck for stud? It seems kind of mean to the breeding community to try to get awards for a non-breeder and keep those legs out of future pedigrees.

I can give you lots of info on showing and posing mini rex's. I will have to do it later tonight!

It's worth every penny. I would either get a duo or a trio, very easy to manage and you could have a rotating systmem. Invest in good stock the first time, waste of time and money to get poor stock

Yeah, the more I research and what not the more I realize that mini-rex is too old to start a show career. I can't really find any local good mini-rex's, so I'm currently looking into other breeds. I already know I want a male. If I had a show rabbit that was winning then I wouldn't see a problem offering him for stud to someone I feel is responsible. I'm not anti-breeding, just anti irresponsible breeding. I really can only have one show rabbit though, so I wonder if it is worth it. I have three spayed/neutered house bunnies already (four if I count Rizzo who is bonded to my best friends boy) and I live in a Condo, I only have space for one more bun.

:dunno

A good place to find good breeders is any ARBA show. Just watch the breeds you're interested in to see who places well, and find out if they have any rabbits available for sale.

I've found that a lot of the better breeders don't even bother with websites or advertising--so you won't know they're right next door--because their names alone seem to keep their animals in high enough demand.

As far as money goes, it depends on how much you would want to spend on a show. While the entry fees are usually about $3-5 per rabbit per show, the hotel, gas, food and other expenses add up fast. If there are enough shows within a reasonable driving distance and you won't have to stay over night, then it can be good.
The shows around here are usually 2 days with set up on the Friday. They tend to have 2-3 separate show going on at once, so you can get 2-3 judges opinions on your rabbit in one day. You don't have to stay for both days, so can just attend one day if that works for you. However, most shows are put on by a club that is based in a city that is about 3 hours away, so it's not like I can easily go up for the day and come home without it being a really long day.

I do sort of know how you feel. The 2 tans I just got can be shown, but I can't really afford to go to shows. The one that is close by happened just before I got them and other ones are 3-4 hours away. Fair type shows (non ARBA) I am either busy for or they aren't doing a rabbit show this year. So as much as I would like to show them, it is hard to do and I can't really afford the hotel and such even if I could drive to them.

Do you have any breeder friends who might be willing to lend you a rabbit for a show? It doesn't have to be their best rabbit, but just one that has no DQ's and could give you an idea on what showing is like before you commit. If you don't like it, the rabbit would go back home with the rabbit and there is no harm done. If you do like it, then you can get your own rabbit to show.

One thing to also consider with the breed you choose is competition in your area. If I entered my Tans, they would most likely be the only tans in the show, so yes I would get the breed but it isn't as nice as if I got it with competition. On the other hand are breeds that have a lot of competition where it is much harder to get anything, but the wins are bigger wins. Maybe go for a breed that has some competition but not a ton so you would at least have a chance. You can also just go for a breed you like and get what you get as far as the competition goes.

You would want to do a breed that you like the most, Going to rabbit shows and talking to breeders and seeing everything does help. I just got back into mini rex's again, And i choose to do not so popular color in my area. I only go to local shows that arent to far away, And I only go less then 5 times a year,

Just an update; Still thinking about showing, but looking into Holland Lops now. :)

Hollands have a long show life. Much longer than a mini-rex but you will pay alot of money for a holland that will compete.

I found a baby Holland Lop male I'm interested in, he supposedly has really great lines. I really like his thick body and legs, he's got a nice face too. The only fault I'm seeing is his crown seems to be a bit slipped forward? I'm new, so correct me if I'm wrong. He's got nicely shaped ears though. Do you guys think he would be a good show bun?

Follow link for front shot-
http://mysecretrabbitry.weebly.com/uploads/3/7/8/2/3782498/3114116.jpg?458

Side profile-
http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss162/LionCalie/002e07c9.jpg

When I got into rabbits, all I got told was REW, REW, REW. Pretty frustrating for someone who can't stand REW's, but there you have it.
And in Hollands, I had some snooty breeder last week tell me that Black Tort was the only color that any novice to the Hollands should get into else I'd be wasting my time.

Choose a breed that you love, with a variety that you love, and you will always feel fondness towards your animals. There is great type to be had in every color; just might take a while to find it.

Long live the Hollands! I adore them!

How old is he? He doesn't look to be very old. I like his crown, it looks like it should. Look at a site that shows French Lop Bucks then look at him and you will see he is a miniature version.
I think he looks good, just remember the more people that show a particular breed the less chance a newbie will have to get top honors.

Thank you all for the help. I really cannot handle having more than one more rabbit and I now realize showing one rabbit would be short lived and a waste since I wouldn't be breeding. Thanks again, but I've decided it's not something I should be getting into.

Latest posts

Back