Getting Harvey to eat more hay!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagPie

Reaction score
I took Harvey to the vet Tuesday for a general check up before I go on vacation in June. He checks out good other than being a little tad bit over weight (oops haha) and she was a little concerned about his molars. Not enough that she wanted to have them worked on, but they might improve by changing his eating habit. She told me to watch for drooling and maybe come back in 3 months for another check up. Now I have to admit Harvey is not a big hay eater. He was when I was trying him on Oxbow, which he didn't like, so he'd eat a tiny bit and mostly eat his hay. Now back on his Kaytee food he's gone back to not eating a lot of hay.

The vet discussed with me about cutting back his pellets, which I realized I was feeding him about twice as much as he needed and feeding his pellets at night. He's a grazer with his pellets, he'll make them last all day. I've already cut back on half his pellets and feeding him at night. I might even cut down on his pellets again once he's used to the new feeding routine.

I feed Harvey Orchard and Oat hay, not Timothy because I had a bad reaction to it. My vet also mentioned dried willow leaves, which Harvey loves! Those he will gobble up. But are those more of a treat type thing? How often could I feed him those when I can find them again? I also feed him wheat grass, which I am hoping might his teeth some. But what else could I do to get him to eat more hay? What else would help with his molars? I'd rather get this taken care of now so it doesn't get worse.

Latest posts

Back