Getting Crowded

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cassidy909z

Reaction score
When I first started rescuing rabbits, I started off by just answering free ads on craigslist so they wouldn't end up as snake food, or dinner when they're pets. Then after a few months of that and getting pregnant bunnies and all kinds of surprises, I decided to leave my number at the local kill shelter to any rabbits that need a temporary home. I already have 12 adult rabbits and a litter of 6 and POSSIBLY more on the way (I helped a guy out by buying some of his rabbits that he could no longer take care of, and then he called and told me they were all expecting). Well this morning the shelter called me and said they have a mini rex doe, two guinea pigs, and three dwarf hamsters that they don't have enclosures for and need to find homes before Friday. I have the room, kind of, but I really don't think it would be a good move for me to take all of these animals. At the same time, it's really hard to say no. Rescuing is hard, especially knowing you can't save all of them.

It is hard when you can't save them all. 12 is a lot for one person to take care of.
Do you know of anyone in your area who can take in a rabbit or 2? A lot of rescues rely on foster homes to care for rabbits. It also means that you can take in more and not be as crowded.

There's no rescues that would take them that's local, but I have been posting ads on Craigslist saying they were free if I APPROVED the home. I've re-homed about six so far, but that left me with 12 and then the babies. I went ahead and caved in and took the little bunny at the shelter. but hey, I said no to something so that's a start! Here's some pictures if anyone wants to take a gander at what breed she is. They said mini rex, but she has HUGE feet. She's four months old and weighs at least three, maybe four pounds. Once she calms down I'm sure I won't have a problem finding her a home, she's young, fluffy, and cute!

CAM01947.jpg

CAM01948.jpg

CAM01950.jpg

At one time, I was up to 18. It should have been 17 but when I came back from the vet with our "newest" shelter rescue, there was a bunny sitting in the middle of my front lawn. I had to say no after that--when they start finding me, and it was more than a full time job. I adopted out 8 over the years, but they went to people we already knew and I didn't make it easy on them--they really had to take the responsibility seriously if they wanted one of our babies.

Thanks! :)
Oh wow, I guess you were known! You did the right thing by making it hard on them, so many people get bunnies and they end up getting killed or back to people like us.

She's beautiful!
Would definitely adopt her if I lived in the area.
And, I don't know much about rabbits breed but could she be a flemish giant cross? Her ears are quite large, too.

Cassidy, if you include a (rough) location in your profile, then maybe RO members nearby may be willing to provide a home for 1 or more of your bunnies.

Okay, I'll do that now. I can tell she's gonna be a large breed, I'm not sure about Flemish cross :s

Latest posts

Back