Getting Bunny a friend

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PenelopeBun

Reaction score
Is this the best thing to do?

Penelope is an indoor free range bunny, very happy and chilled. But I’ve had a lot of people recently telling me I need to get her a friend because she might become depressed? She shows no sign of depression, she’s always very happy and loves having cuddles, enjoys playing with her toys and is very rarely alone or apart from me and I don’t want to stress her out by introducing another rabbit if is not necessary.

Please give me some advice because I’m torn. I have plenty of space for another bun, but she prefers the accompaniment of me rather than other bunnies that she’s been introduced to on play dates and such. Just want what’s best for her[emoji30]IMG_4708.jpg

Some rabbits get depressed when alone, others get depressed or stressed when with the wrong bunnies, and others are better off and happier alone. It really depends on the individual character. There is no universal single truth about what to do and what not with rabbits (or dogs, etc...), listen to your intuition. When your single rabbit gets along fine that's ok. You know your rabbit best, it's your decision, it's not about someone out there being convinced to know the sole truth.
A second bunny can be great, or in imho rather rare cases open up a can of worms.
Is your bunny spayed?

I once sold a doe out of a trio because she got depressed, didn't get along with her bossy mom and spent the days hunched up in a hidey house, that one was much happier alone.

I prefer to keep them in pairs since I'm more or less just the food and door guy to them ;), I really enjoy watching them interact, they are definitly more active than alone. Even got my intact buck (free range house bunny) a cuddlebun recently.

Last edited:
It's up to you. It sounds like your rabbit is doing just fine as a single bunny. I've had singles and pairs and am convinced that some single bunnies are perfectly content to be and remain single bunnies.

I know there are those out there that insist that every rabbit must be paired. I disagree. An indoor rabbit that gets plenty of attention and exercise can be just fine. Don't feel pressured into getting a second rabbit.

If you really wanted a second rabbit and really felt your girl needed a companion, then that's well and good. Introducing a second rabbit can change things. He may not be as well-behaved in the home. She may not like having to share her "territory." The bonding could be stressful. The whole dynamic of how the rabbits behave in the home can change. There are just many potential downsides to getting a second rabbit.

If she seems content, I'd be inclined to leave well enough alone.

Our spayed girl has been a lone bunny. We just adopted a neutered male and they met at a vet check. When we got home and each bunny went in his own level of a two story hutch, the new male settled right in and started eating happily while our girl sat shivering and refused a piece of dried apple ( her favorite treat). So am not sure adding a second bunny is always a good idea. Time will tell. Hope you make the right choice.

Latest posts

Back