Getting another Cockatiel!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PepnFluff

Reaction score
Well, since it's been nearly a year since my last wee tiel Ohlly passed away I've decided it's time to get another as I've missed out on crazy tiel antics :D Anywho this wee birdy will need a new name, I'm not sure wether its a girl or a boy as it's too early but need some help choosing what name cause its so darned hard!

So far I have:

Jovi, Olive, Rio, Harper, Jasper andMarley but am still undecided! Any suggestions are welcome too please :D

And thought of one more, Indie or Indi got it from watching home and away hehe.

My tiels are named Arthur and Poppet. Poppet is the only one of my pets with a nonhuman name, but it was way too cute to pass up! I also considered naming her Trinket. Kiwi is cute too. Once you get your birdy you'll probably be able to name him/her easier. If you get a pearled female, I think Dot would be adorable.

Hahahaha my friend suggested naming it Arthur but it's the name of the guy I like - we thought he'd be mildly creeped out haha. But Dot! That is such a adorable name, like I really really like it. Thanks so much!!!

Haha Prisca, I love your name and am putting it on the list of possible names for our next rat(s) that we're getting in a couple weeks! Even funnier since my girl bunny is named Phoebe, like PepnFluff. That was just coincidental though :)

Prisca, this just occurred to me, how do you pronounce your name? I always assumed it was PRISS-a, like Priscilla minus the "ill" part. But I looked it up and several websites say it's PRISK-a. Which is also pretty.

I think its pronounced Pris-ka, Shiloh next thing you know you'll have Prisca's, Peg'd, Jen's, Elena's and everyother person here haha. I found a reputable breeder here in Nelson that seems to care forthere birdies very well and theyare hand reared:) She will have a clutch ready mid January that should have pied's in it that i'm very keen on so i'm very excited :D

Aww congrats! I like the pied mutation best, that and cinnamon pearl. And of course good old standard grey. My Arthur is a regular grey boy and I think he's gorgeous. There were pearl, cinnamon pearl, pied and Lutino babies at the store when I bought him (I bought him from a pet store in Virginia that bred the babies themselves, handfed them, interviewed all potential owners and made the owners bring the babies back after a week to check them out, then made follow up phone calls). I picked Arthur even though there were all those other pretty colors because he was such a lovely little baby. I got another bird at the same time as him, Michaela, who was a cinnamon pearl. She was really pretty too. Poppet is a Lutino. Luca (Arthur's previous mate) was a heavy pearl pied, which means he looked like a Lutino except for one little gray pearled feather on his wing and a gray spot on his beak. Little Bird was a regular gray split to pied, which means he was a carrier of the pied gene and had yellow and white spots right behind his crown.

I miss my 3 deceased tiels :( Michaela flew into a wall at the age of 2 (I clip wings since then), Luca was just found dead at the age of 6, and Little Bird suffered from lifelong health problems (he was super, super tiny and "deformed" in some parts of his body, the vet said she was surprised he lived as long as he did) and died at the age of 3 in spite of me spending at least a couple thousand dollars on vet bills. Arthur's been with me for 11 years now and Poppet for 1, hopefully they'll both live for a really long time.

Awh they sound like responsible breeders, we need more of them :) They have a e-mail between them and the new owners and they sound like they genuinley care about their birds if you wanna check them out here. Yeah I really really like pieds, such beautiful markings, my wee Ohlly was a lutino and he was gorgeous, though I must say I like the standard grey, infact can I just say I like them all :D Your birdies sounded gorgeous :) It's so sad when they go, I was cleaning up Ohllys cage today and had a wee cry miss him loads. Do you have any pictures of your darlings? Love seeing other peoples tiels :D give Poppet and Arthur a scritch from me today.

I forgot to say, what are your thoughts on banding? All their birds are banded but I've heard to many horror stories so I'm not sure where I stand....

I love the name Prisca and Dot (due to the cheek spots they have)! Rosy or Rosie would be another option for a hen due to the "rosy cheeks."

I love the "cheeks" on the tiels... I never owned one but had a peach faced lovebird named Peaches and he lived for 10 years... I miss him a lot - he was hand trained (said to be difficult to do in lovebirds) and he would give "kisses" and would try to say his name "Peeech" when I would talk to him.

If I get another bird (hubby will probably just kill me on the spot - LOL) I would get a tiel... having a Lab and a German Shorthaired Pointer in the house dictate otherwise (although Peaches would "attack" them if their noses got too close to his cage). They did not mess with the Peach.

Best wishes!!!

Denise

P.S. Post pics, please so I can get a bird fix. :)

Latest posts

Back