Getting another bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miva13

Reaction score
Hi all
I have a 7 month old minilop boy who is just adorable. I’m worried though that he is lonely for his own kind, I’m home with him 24/7 and he is free roam around our house. I’m thinking of getting another girl bunny from our rescue centre. Do you think this is a good idea? Would love to hear your experiences with bonding your rabbits and if they seemed happier after?
Thanks

If your boy is already neutered, then, sure, you could have him meet some potential bondmates at a rescue. It is important, though, for him to do the choosing. Bonding isn't always easy. Some can be extraordinarily difficult or just won't work at all, while other times, two rabbits will get along with seeming no effort at all. It just depends on the individual rabbits.

Read all you can about bonding before taking the plunge. It is super sweet to see two snuggling buns enjoying each other's company.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-bunnies.html

Yes he is neutered. We have a lot of covid restrictions atm so I’m asking the shelter if I can take a spayed female home to see if they get along. What is a sure sign that it’s not a good match? I will keep them in seperate enclosures next to each other to start and then do slow introductions.

The link I gave above explains two different approaches to bonding -- gradual and immersion -- and then provides further links, one for each method. Those go over what to watch for... it isn't hard science but general guidelines since it can vary so greatly between individual rabbits. For example, grooming during a first meet is considered unusual and almost a sure sign of a match made in heaven. I had this happen with one of my bond attempts, but once home, those two ended up irreconcilable.

Read, read, read. And because one link includes videos of bonds in process... watch, watch, watch.

You'll want to be prepared as possible since a mistake early on can sabotage the process.

Hi there!! I have a mini lop bunny. He was alone until he was about 8 months old, then we got two girls. He’s always been a super friendly and loving little bun, but he always would jump and scare easy if someone was coming to his hutch. Since we got him the two friends, he will literally stay flopped out, even if the neighbour is mowing the lawn!! Hopefully that helps!

Thanks Aspen, your bunnies sound so cute. Now all I need to do is find a mate for my Benny boy.

Hi everyone quick update looks like we have found a little girl for my guy. I have a zoom meeting to see her IRL today, then they will transfer her to a centre closer to us because of covid restrictions. I have another question, when I bring her home I will have an enclosure set up for her next to his house that he sleeps in at night. Is it ok for me to let him out in the morning so he can free roam our house frather than be locked in next to her? He is used to being let out at 6.30am then he doesnt go back to bed until late at night. Will this affect their bonding? I can restrict him to be in the same room together. Love to hear what you all think. This is a pic of my boy.

Attachments

• E35248F5-0E0C-44D1-A108-FCCF292F7C33.jpeg
    E35248F5-0E0C-44D1-A108-FCCF292F7C33.jpeg
    185.2 KB · Views: 2
Hi everyone quick update looks like we have found a little girl for my guy. I have a zoom meeting to see her IRL today, then they will transfer her to a centre closer to us because of covid restrictions. I have another question, when I bring her home I will have an enclosure set up for her next to his house that he sleeps in at night. Is it ok for me to let him out in the morning so he can free roam our house frather than be locked in next to her? He is used to being let out at 6.30am then he doesnt go back to bed until late at night. Will this affect their bonding? I can restrict him to be in the same room together. Love to hear what you all think. This is a pic of my boy.

Chances are he’ll be very stressed out, so you need to keep an eye on him to make sure he’s eating the first 3 days - week.
So I’d discourage free roaming (you also need to slowly build up the space he can have), especially if your female can see him in freedom,
which could possibly lead to resentment .

It’s probably best to leave them in Xpens away from each other make sure Xpens can’t touch & that neither can get into each other’s pen.

Happy Bonding 😊

Thanks Lucas. Do you mean the female will be stressed? Why would my boy be stressed, is it because there is a new female in his environment? I was going to give them each time outside their enclosures separately until they are used to each other if they do bond so one doesn’t get jealous of the other.

Latest posts

Back