Getting a male fixed - what can I expect from him?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tweetiepy

Reaction score
I know I read this and I thought it was here, but I remember reading something about bunny behavious after they get fixed. How females would do something and males something else behaviour and food/wise.

I'm planning on getting my male fixed and would like to know what to expect/what is normal behaviour for him after he's fixed.

Could someone please let me know what is normal and anything that I can do to help this.

Also some tips to getting him to take his meds if he needs some. Thanks

He will definitely need pain medication. I don't think it would be overly comfortable for me to lose my genitalia ;)

Good method is mixing it with a bit of juice in a syringe, or mashed up banana if it is in pill form.

You can expect reduced scent, less aggression, less territorial displays, less spraying of urine, less humping of your feet, and a generally calmer bun.

That's my experience with 2 neutered boys :)

Autumn gave you some good advice and I can't think of much else to add really. The main things to keep an eye on is his drinking. He may not eat right away but try and push hay and water as much as you can. I would avoid giving him treats (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, anything pretty gassy and sugary at least) for a bit since it is possible to have a bit of a gut slowdown from the stress and all that. You might want to keep pedialyte and syringes on hand juuuust in case. :)

May I ask where you are having him neutered? Maybe you can add the vet to the listings on the site here if you are satisfied with the service. We don't have many vets listed from Quebec at all. :) Best of luck!

I looked at a few places and some vets fix bunnies but they don't treat them - so those were out even though they were much cheaper - one place was charging me near $400 to have him fixed when I thought he was a girl.

I'll add them on the list if I'm satisfied after he gets fixed

For behaviour I meant will he be looking to eat or will he sulk in a corner?

my male holland lop was fixed in january of this year, he was around 8 months..it was a little soon but he needed to be put under for teeth problems so they went ahead and fixed him too...talk about $$$. $400 seems to be a lot though, his was about $250 and that was with pain meds before, after, and a trained vet tech monitoring just his breathing while the surgery was performed. I was nervous so I opted for the most care I could get.

My bun is extremely stubborn, but LOVES pellets so I would keep a few pellets in my hand and syringe his pain killers onto the pellets. he would eat them up and not even realize he was taking his meds. I agree with the post above, certainly avoid gassy treats, and too many treats. I kept him on a very basic hay and limited pellet diet for a while.

You should certainly avoid too much play time, hopping around can rip the stiches. I would also warn you to expect a lot of biting and licking of the stitches. It's nerve wrecking, but my bun did it constantly and managed to be ok.

He was soo tired, and drowsy the first few hours home, but he was back to himself the next day.

As for behavioral benefits, I didnt see anything different in him until 5 months later. It takes a while..but little things do change..less pooping outside litter box, less spraying...as for humping he never did that before but im sure that will end too.

hope this helps :)

im sorry i realized that I forgot to answer what he will be like when he's home.

My bun took a few hours but then ate his pellets and nibbled on hay. Its suggested that you give a bowl of water if he's normally given a bottle so that there is less work to get water. I did that..but he did use his water bottle. I think if he doesnt come out of the drowsiness and start eating a little a few hours after being home call your vet. Mine was very helpful in answering questions..which is so important

i had my Walter neutered and he was bright eyed and bushy tailed the same day when i went to pick him up from the vet. He did great! Although he did do alot of licking and biting around his surgery site. But he recovered really quickly and was his old self the same day. Even the vet was surprised at how well and quick he got over the anesthesia. I just let him take it easy for a few days to be sure he was healing properly.

Mister was the same as jujub's Walter. He was neutered early in the afternoon and I picked him up around 6pm. He was only a tad groggy and by bedtime he was pretty much his usual self. He didn't really lick or bite at his stitches, so I was lucky there. As for behavior afterward, he is a little calmer. Litter box use has become SO much better. Only the occasional territory poop is left behind.

I have Peaches in a two level condo, will the jumping be a problem? His litter is on the second level and his favorite tunnel is on the bottom level (covering the corner that he always pees on) - Will the jumping be a problem? Do they put a cone on? I don't think I can be around to watch him with the stitches.

For me the humping is the worse - he's all lovable then it,s like he's a different rabbit and won't leave any skin un-humped.

I was advised to avoid jumping because of the fear he could tear his stitches. I wasn't given a cone, which is why he licked his stitches for days after. I read somewhere that he could sense something wrong and was cleaning the area. I first attempted to stop him, then realized he would probably do it over night while I slept anyway. I had his stitches checked a few months later and everything healed fine.

I have a 3 level condo too, at the time I didnt so I wasn't concerned about the jumping. Certainly ask your vet, I would think because stitches vary, certain recovery times and limitations would too.

Latest posts

Back