Getting a Friend (Bonding)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenniferm

Reaction score
I have a 7 month old male Flemish Giant. He was neutered 5 weeks ago. He lives outside in a 16x8 pen that will be expanded soon. I want to get him a friend. Should I get a male or female companion? Whichever I get will be fixed as well. Picture of him and his pen attached.
20200519_191622.jpg20200328_193626.jpg

I have a 7 month old male Flemish Giant. He was neutered 5 weeks ago. He lives outside in a 16x8 pen that will be expanded soon. I want to get him a friend. Should I get a male or female companion? Whichever I get will be fixed as well. Picture of him and his pen attached.
View attachment 49083View attachment 49084

He's such a cutie! I've always had a soft spot for flemmies :)

Typically Male-Female bonds work the best, but Male-Male bonds can work in some cases although it may be harder to do.

It is said that he-she couples are easiest to bond. The best idea to get a bondmate is to do pre-screenings with other fixed bunnies at a rescue or something. Such services aren't avaliable in Estonia so i don't know in depth.
Where did you get your flemish from?

He is super cute! I love Flemmies!
I suggest getting a female because Male-Female bonds work the best. There will be an occasional Male-Male bond, but it is rare unless you have a very submissive male. I agree with @Catlyn, you need to look at a shelter. They will have fixed and vetted rabbits that are looking for loving homes! Most places also allow "bunny dating" (you take your rabbit with you and it chooses which rabbit it wants). Here is a rescue I suggest looking into: GHRS|Rescue|Educate|Adopt.

Here is a link and video on bonding: Bonding Bunnies

Latest posts

Back