Get a friend or not

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermelin

Reaction score
I’ve adopted a french lop doe and hoped she would get along with my buck or at least be a free roam rabbit indoors. None of those above worked, she wanted to be able to dig and my door have claw marks from the nights she wanted to come into my room and play while staying in my bed.

So I build a big outdoor cages for her with an okay pen, at least her living area it’s bigger than my apartment last year.

She have become more healthy and have more energy than the first month I got her, she was malnutrition, had problem with her eyes, the fur was dirty and damaged on some places. But it’s healthy after two months, only missing a little fur on one eye. She often some binkys.

But now she’s more alone outside than what she was in her previous home, at least she had rabbits living next to her cage, she’s from a farm where kids could pet animals and have birthday parties.

I already know she disliked being indoors but love being with humans. The problem it’s that when she sees a rabbit she attacks and bites without even trying to dominate the rabbit, even in a neutral area she go directly for a bite which it’s not good.

Will she be able to live alone in her cage outside all year or should I keep on trying to find a friend for her.

Last edited:
She has to be spayed, and even if she is its no guarantee the bond will work. The other rabbit should be spayed neutered and preferably a male.
I suggest going onto youtube and watching some of the bonding your rabbit videos to pick up techniques. People do things like intruduce them in the care while the care is going- also, it sounds like you know this but, the other rabbit can't go into anywhere she thinks is her territory. Like if she is in those outdoor pens and you put another rabbit in there she won't like it.

She’s spayed and 5 years old, even when it’s trying to take it slow introduction she will try to bite them through the mesh :/

When you tried to introduce her to the rabbit did you try putting them in someplace like the shower or your car?
I've had rabbits that would not get along in the floor of the room where there cages are but yet I could put them outside in a playpen and they got along.

But too me if you've tried this before and she is really aggressive I wouldn't try it again unless I had tons of spare time and also space to make a new pen that neither one had been in.

Sometimes it is just a matter of finding the right match. I've had one female that rejected several potential bondmates before finally being nice with one particular rabbit. They can be that picky!

So it could be just that you haven't find the right match, or it could also be that she just isn't going to get along with another rabbit. That does happen. It may be rare, but it happens.

Some people have had luck providing a stuffed rabbit as a 'companion' for their rabbit. Just something for bunny to snuggle with. Can't think of what else might help if she prefers outdoors.

She have a cat bed which she dragged around in the house and never left it alone, so she have that cat bed in her outdoor cage. So she can lay next to it and be in it.

I can only wait and see if I find someone she’s like then. At least she loves being outdoor and digging deep holes in the yard.

Thanks for the tips :)

Latest posts

Back