Gerbil going in circles

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniLopHop

Reaction score
My poor little gerbil, Barnum, is going in circles. When he sits up to eat he leans to the side. He's 5 and this is the first time I have seen this sort of behavior so I'm afraid it is medical. He's going to the vet tonight and I fear the worst. If it is a stroke or seizures he probably won't be coming home. I won't let him suffer.

I'm worried about his brother, Baily. They have been together their whole lives. What could I do for Baily if his brother has to cross over? Would it be more stressful for him to live alone or to try to get him a friend at this point?

:pray:

Awww, I'm really sorry that you're having to go through this. To be honest, I didn't think that gerbils lived that long! You must be an amazing animal mama!
I don't know anything about gerbils, so I can't help you with info on getting a companion for him.

I'm just wishing you all the best for your little gerbil friend!

It looks like it was a stroke. He shouldn't be in any pain and he is eating well. There really isn't much that can be done other than keeping an eye on him. He could stay the same (slightly paralized on the right side), get better, or have another that could be fatal.

The boys are still snuggling in their burrow and there's no problems between them. I guess at this age every day is a gift for both of them.

I am sorry Brandy, enjoy the days he has left. Poor little brother is going to have a hard time as he has never been apart from Barnum. Funny how they know, wonder who is comforting whom.

Barnum seems to be feeling a bit better today. There's less circling and he seems to have more control on that side. Luckily they have a very low-stress life (no kids or loud noises) so with a little dimmer lighting it makes for a perfect recovery environment.

Last night I gave him a few paw sized bites of apple and he was very happy. :)

Aww brandy so sorry about barnum but that is good he is doing better! I'm with Morgan, I had no idea gerbils lived that long either. He must be well taken care of! :)

Thanks. I try to make them as happy as possible.
Here's a picture of him a while back, doing what he does best...
100_0941.jpg

100_0939.jpg

002-2.jpg

thanks Alma, I try to keep them happy as possible. Last night I saw a large improvement, the left side seems to have control again! His little face is still droopy on that side, but he's moving around really well and eating as normal. I think my little man is going to make it and be just fine!
:yahoo::pinkbouce::party0002::weee::pinkelepht::clapping:

Latest posts

Back