Genetic Impossibility?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnybunbunb

Reaction score
They are dutch, which is why I used the term yellow. Anyway, before Steffi died I rebred Neena for final breeding before my coming tort buck kit was ready. Steffi died and she had to raise babies longer than I wanted and blah blah.

I wanted to breed her to Beethoven who I loved. I had the date set. Two days before I had that feeling of "go ahead and breed them" but I did not. The next day Beethoven got out of his cage and killed, I was crushed. So the date came around and I reluctantly took Neena outside for the first time in over a month and bred her to Picaso.

I expected yellows from Neena and Beethoven - tort x grey carrying shaded- but she was bred to Picaso who is Beethoven's brother.

Neena: aaB-C-DDee
Picaso : aaB-C-D-Ee

Picaso's mother is a steel so I thought he might be a non-agouti steel, but that would not cause the yellow color and agouti lacing, would it?

Anyone have ANY ideal what the heck happened?

Edited Picaso's genetic code. I had no sleep when typing this out.

bunnybunbunb wrote:
I expected yellows from Neena and Beethoven - tort x shaded carrying grey - but she was bred to Picaso who is Beethoven's brother.

Picaso : aaB-C-D-ee

You can't get yellow out of either breeding (shaded can't "carry" gray). All the rabbits mentioned are aa, so can't produce "A" yellow.

Possibly a chocolate tort, or mix-up in sire/dam. The steel wouldn't cause agouti lacing in selfs.

If the baby is yellow w/ agouti markings, it was not produced by the pairings you listed.

What actual color is Beethoven?

Beethoven is a gray, he's out of a steel doe-Keisha and a tort buck- Colby.
The steel doe(Keisha) is out of a blue doe(amita) x steel buck (Honey Bunny's Chris, if that helps any-He I sold on)
The tort buck(Colby) is out of a tort buck x black doe

The ones named I still have, she got Beethoven and Neena from me. I know Colby has Gray back in his ped. I have them in Evans, i can email them to see if it helps.
As for the yellow, Colby looked quite yellow for a while then he finally started to show tort shading closer to 3 months old, now he's almost black tort.

Chocolate Tort i can see as a strong possibility. Neena's mother-Kitty was basically chocolate tort. She was tort-ish out of a LONG line of chocolates. KItty's breeders had her listed as a tort, but she didn't look right for tort.

P5250070.jpg

Above is Kitty, Neena's mother. She did lighten up some but not a whole lot. The rabbitry I got her out of was rather disgusting- I don't like to think much about it

Neena was my first home bred dutch, Kitty's only living child. I still haveKitty's pedigree, since she was pet homed after Neena was weaned.

Does this help any? I have Neena's father, Colby. He's viewable on my website, along with Keisha and her mother Amita, if that helps for behind Beethoveen/picaso and Neena

pamnock wrote:
bunnybunbunb wrote:
I expected yellows from Neena and Beethoven - tort x shaded carrying grey - but she was bred to Picaso who is Beethoven's brother.

Picaso : aaB-C-D-ee

You can't get yellow out of either breeding (shaded can't "carry" gray). All the rabbits mentioned are aa, so can't produce "A" yellow.

Possibly a chocolate tort, or mix-up in sire/dam. The steel wouldn't cause agouti lacing in selfs.

If the baby is yellow w/ agouti markings, it was not produced by the pairings you listed.

What actual color is Beethoven?

I ment that as "grey carrying shaded" which could produce yellow when bred to shaded.

I know black to tort can not give yellow, but I also know that Neena was in the house with NO indoor bucks over 3 weeks old when I bred her. When I took her out and bred her she went in with Picaso. No bucks was beside him, just one under. She bred with him about7 times in10 minutes and I brought her back in. She has had no contact with any other bucks. No one but me was outside at the time of breeding, 11 PM, and no one goes in my room without my permision. Even if they did go in my room there is not, and was not, any buck around to be used.

Beethoven died 1-2 days(I forget exactly)before I bred her to Picaso. She had on day 31. Seven babies with onlythree heavy mismarks. Lost two very tiny runts at about 3 days old. She had six black and one "yellow". It is a mismark but the lacing is VERY visable. It was all pink, then white and around day 4 started showing it's color which is way to light for a black/chocolate tort. They are almost 10 days old.

I suppose I should get a picture.

bunnybunbunb wrote:

I ment that as "grey carrying shaded" which could produce yellow when bred to shaded.
What is the "shaded" that you are referring to? Dutch generally don't carry shaded "cchl".

Latest posts

Back