Genes and blue eyes?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Critterfan87

Reaction score
Okay, I knew about BEW buns which I assumed are some type of leucism? And I've been seeing a lot of "VM" buns recently with blue eyes but some don't have blue eyes and some with blue eyes also have other coat colors like black otter, etc. So what is VM, anyway? I couldn't find a definition and I assume it's an acronym.

So what genes cause blue eyes?

Vienna mark it’s one set of gene that codes for white with blue eyes. You need two homologous pair of the gene to express white with blue eyes.

But if it’s only one it will express vienna markings or just be a Vienna carrier.

So it will be a bit of a lucky draw if the genes will be activated or not in bunnies that have Vienna genes in them and get blue eyes. Because you can never predict if the genes will activate and express themselves or just being latent and pass to next generation.

So Vienna marked bunnies, when breed with another Vienna marked can get white kits with blue eyes.

Myself own two vienna marked bunnies. Both have little blue in their eyes that are brown. Pretty common among vienna marked bunnies ^^

Don’t remember the letter you use to write and call white with blue eyes for bunnies. But it’s the gen for white with blue eyes.

Latest posts

Back