General

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, the rabbit had a litter , but I could only see one kit. Just let her be and I've just put extra hay. Dont worry , the males are separated and they seem quite calm 3ith each other (hopefully that will last) . Any advice would be appreciated:) btw , I cancelled the vet appointment for tomottow
You should still check if they are both males, otherwise you can have another litter soon.
If you got all three at 5 weeks (that would be too early tbh as babies should stay with mother until 8 weeks and it is illegal selling or rehoming before they are 8 weeks, so I suspect they were 8 weeks when you got them) they were just babies and that's why babies are getting along just fine, but now they will mature and if there are two males they will start humping each other then fighting and can even kill each other, they can still stay 'bonded' until 4-5 months but it depends, some are early bloomers and start fighting for dominance at 10 weeks, some stay calm until 7-8 months. So it is important to find out as soon as possible and decide what you do next. Neutering is expensive maybe you want to neuter one male first so you can keep him with a female after she stops nursing (in about 6-8 weeks) and the other male will stay in a separate hutch, maybe you want to neuter him later, or just you know your situation better.

Congratulations!
One is not very good tbh because when there are a few kits they keep moving and warm each other so you'd need to keep nest warm maybe by adding/changing hot bottle under it or something depending on your setup. I just had a similar problem my rabbit gave birth to two kits but only one survive, I've tried many things to help him to stay warm, made an outer cardboard box and put hot bottles all around the inner box, changed every couple hours, but still worried so finally stuffed a travel carrier with hay and moved nest in there and locked mother in there for nights letting her out for a day, replacing her with a hot bottle. It really worked and now he's 5 week old and he's a very fat boy because she feeds him he gets all milk for him alone.

So you'd need some extra work to help the baby to stay warm. Please post some pics of the nest or what's inside her hutch so we can advise

Erm, I've like smothered the hutch in hay at the top. But she didn't have the kit in the nesting box (cardboard shoe box which is covered in her fur and hay) but in the hutch (the part that sticks out) , and she had covered it in a lot of hay, so I wasnt aware that she had a litter. I've not moved the kit cause I was scared that I might hurt it. The doe has moved around the hay, so theres clumps of hay in places around the hutch . I've only gone in the hutch to give her water and food .

You should still check if they are both males, otherwise you can have another litter soon.
If you got all three at 5 weeks (that would be too early tbh as babies should stay with mother until 8 weeks and it is illegal selling or rehoming before they are 8 weeks, so I suspect they were 8 weeks when you got them) they were just babies and that's why babies are getting along just fine, but now they will mature and if there are two males they will start humping each other then fighting and can even kill each other, they can still stay 'bonded' until 4-5 months but it depends, some are early bloomers and start fighting for dominance at 10 weeks, some stay calm until 7-8 months. So it is important to find out as soon as possible and decide what you do next. Neutering is expensive maybe you want to neuter one male first so you can keep him with a female after she stops nursing (in about 6-8 weeks) and the other male will stay in a separate hutch, maybe you want to neuter him later, or just you know your situation better.

I still intend to take them to the vets, to check whether their male or female because the grey ones dont really liked to get picked up, just stroked. So it' hard for me to check. I'l probably take them once everthing settled. Hopefully, the kit survives.

Is baby warm and fat? Check the hutch if there are more babies around

Oh dear...you shouldn’t have cancelled the vet appointment. You should at the very least take the other two in for checkups and sexing. You might want to call around and get pricing for neutering and spaying, too. I was surprised at how expensive it is (in the US, anyway)...but the cost is attributed to having to go to an exotic vet that has experience with rabbits.

I will be taking them to
Is baby warm and fat? Check the hutch if there are more babies around

I've not touched it tbf. It' cold outside so should I check tomorrow because it' like gusts of wind and I dont want to make them cold. I just ensured that they was lost of hay in the hutch and theres no wind gtting into the hutch

Latest posts

Back