General

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your new hutch is smaller but still enough for two netherlands I think. I think it would be best to leave a girl in her old hutch to avoid extra stress. Also if she will kindle indeed you will have 6-10 little rabbits in there and they will grow really fast so there's enough room for them all. They will leave nest at around 4-5 weeks

Would she still be able to play with the other two rabbits ? Also, would she feel lonely being by herself in the night ?

No! Day or night they must be separated, rabbits can do it 24/7 and it literally takes seconds so you can only let them play together after they are neutered + 6-8 weeks after as they still can impregnate a female after neutering. You have your hutches side by side so they will be able to see each other anyway.

Some extra tips if she is pregnant and going to deliver her babies soon. Make sure she has extra water as she will drink a lot during it, I see you have lots of hay already she will need it.
Do not disturb her too often but check like twice a day she will probably give birth at night, also watch if she starts pulling her fur, if not you can help her perhaps, also you can put your palm on her stomach to feel if there's any movement in there, if her tits got bigger etc.
Is she still collecting hay in her mouth? It is possible that she's just going through fake pregnancy, she will lose interest in it in a couple days then.

I would move the bucks. No, the bucks cannot spend time with the doe, none at all. If she's pregnant it's important to not stress her, if she is not they can get her pregnant within less than 30 seconds (that is the record my buck holds when a doe escaped when he was in the garden). She'll do fine alone for now. It stresses a doe when eager young bucks try to moungt her, apart from the sexual act it has a social connotation, giving her the feeling being supresse and dominated.
This is just the start of your life with rabbits, you can get it perfect with time, for now there are compromises they have to live with.

Some extra tips if she is pregnant and going to deliver her babies soon. Make sure she has extra water as she will drink a lot during it, I see you have lots of hay already she will need it.
Do not disturb her too often but check like twice a day she will probably give birth at night, also watch if she starts pulling her fur, if not you can help her perhaps, also you can put your palm on her stomach to feel if there's any movement in there, if her tits got bigger etc.
Is she still collecting hay in her mouth? It is possible that she's just going through fake pregnancy, she will lose interest in it in a couple days then.
No, it was just that one time that I saw, but i saw her digging in the hutch?

I would move the bucks. No, the bucks cannot spend time with the doe, none at all. If she's pregnant it's important to not stress her, if she is not they can get her pregnant within less than 30 seconds (that is the record my buck holds when a doe escaped when he was in the garden). She'll do fine alone for now. It stresses a doe when eager young bucks try to moungt her, apart from the sexual act it has a social connotation, giving her the feeling being supresse and dominated.
This is just the start of your life with rabbits, you can get it perfect with time, for now there are compromises they have to live with.

Ok, thank you for your reply

You will know for sure in a couple days anyway if she gives birth now but you can be sure she's not pregnant only after 35 days after separation.

Btw I would check all three to be sure who is who maybe you have two females there ;)

No they need to be 100% seperate.
Since you arent seperating the.boys you should move the female to the smaller new hutch.
Even the boys (if they actually are both boys) will likely end up fighting and need to be seperated.
So no. No play sessions.

you have to keep them separate. The female will not get lonely, she will have her babies to keep her company. The males need to be separate from her and each other and fixed ASAP. It takes a few weeks for them to lose their ability to impregnate the female. If you let them play together you are asking for another pregnancy. It seems you are having issues taking care of the female without babies. So, don't let her have another liter. I don't mean to sound harsh; but, this is for the health of the rabbits. The babies can easily die and the males can kill each other if kept together. My advice is start reading and doing as much research about rabbits before you continue. You are going to do more harm than good. It seems you have a big heart taking these rabbits in. So, go all the way and do your homework on rabbits. This site is excellent for information as well. But, you are in a situation where you need to learn fast or you will hurt the babies, the mom and the dads. Then it will all be for nothing.

The female will feel relieved to be away from the constant harassment from the boys. She doesn’t like being constantly humped by 2 boys but she’s trapped with them :(

No, not anymore, just digs. But I booked the vet appointment for all of them so they can have a general check up and they can confirm whether they are males or females

That's great please keep us updated :)

So, the rabbit had a litter , but I could only see one kit. Just let her be and I've just put extra hay. Dont worry , the males are separated and they seem quite calm 3ith each other (hopefully that will last) . Any advice would be appreciated:) btw , I cancelled the vet appointment for tomottow

Congratulations!
One is not very good tbh because when there are a few kits they keep moving and warm each other so you'd need to keep nest warm maybe by adding/changing hot bottle under it or something depending on your setup. I just had a similar problem my rabbit gave birth to two kits but only one survive, I've tried many things to help him to stay warm, made an outer cardboard box and put hot bottles all around the inner box, changed every couple hours, but still worried so finally stuffed a travel carrier with hay and moved nest in there and locked mother in there for nights letting her out for a day, replacing her with a hot bottle. It really worked and now he's 5 week old and he's a very fat boy because she feeds him he gets all milk for him alone.

So you'd need some extra work to help the baby to stay warm. Please post some pics of the nest or what's inside her hutch so we can advise

Oh dear...you shouldn’t have cancelled the vet appointment. You should at the very least take the other two in for checkups and sexing. You might want to call around and get pricing for neutering and spaying, too. I was surprised at how expensive it is (in the US, anyway)...but the cost is attributed to having to go to an exotic vet that has experience with rabbits.

Latest posts

Back