General Lifespan Questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mac189

Reaction score
I've always had rabbits on the larger size (8-11 lbs) and have had relatively short life spans compared to the 12 years I know is possible. All have been well cared for and had no medical emergencies, although I've learned more about health and the benefits of higher quality food as time passed and all passed away in their sleep while flopped, but it's leading me to wonder about life span differences based on size.
Twix and Neal were both a month shy of 9 when they passed and Jasmine and Jethro were both 6 and 5. The latter two had had health stressors in their lives (Jasmine had evidence of some form of heart issue and Jethro was in rough shape when I got him and the beginning of his life with us was very touch-and-go due to the injuries he came with and his poor health that cause some continuous issues). They have all passed years ago, but it's gotten me wondering what is normal for larger breed rabbits.

There is so much information that conflicts regarding life span and I'm curious to hear others experiences, especially in relation to size and stressors. Thank you and sorry for the slightly grim question.

Our largest, Serena a 20 pound checked Giant made it almost to 12. We have had a couple Mini-Rexes make it to 16 and one was a month short of 19. Our big bunnies made to the 12-13 range and our mid size mostly hit the 13-14 range with a couple making it to 15. We also had a few leave way too early, 3 to 4 but those were also smaller ones that did have some problems. Always too soon, though!

Certainly always too soon... That is extremely impressive! I hope my babies have such impressively long lives with as few medical problems as possible. Thank you for the information

We currently care for a 13 1/2 y.o. boy with an enlarged liver diagnosed a year ago.

Our dutch girl obtained from Petland store in 2008 is over 12 now. She incurred a fx'd femur (mystery as to how her leg got caught in 2019) and is doing alright at this time. Slowing down for sure.

The babies born to captured abandoned females, who stayed in our rescue/sanctuary home, lived to ages 13 1/2. Most lived over the age of 10.

A few sibs passed away with medical conditions earlier; anemia, liver tumor, liver tumor rupture, etc. One rescue dutch gal developed a brain abscess; she died at age 6.

Captured stray girl, my avatar sweetie, developed bone cancer. Suspected caudal lumber injuries/fx at time of spay. Became disabled.
Bone cancer onset - Worsening on foot. Three A's wrt Quality of Life factor .... We chose not to amputate. Gentle PTS at age 6.

Another shelter rescue dutch developed a head or brain tumor, abscess and was gently PTS. Age 9.

Spayed female adopted 2003 at 7 months. Gentle PTS 2015. Age 12ish.

N/Male - pts pneumonia infection. Age 11. Unwanted as a 4H dutch, wrong gender. Bondmate with his girl listed above.

N/Male - passed away at age 13.

S/Female - gentle PTS - liver tumor / cancer at age 13. High AST reading, general lethargy, inappetance.

N/Male - GI obstruction - PTS at age 9.

Captured stray from mink farm area, Thymoma condition arose. In hospice care for approx. 8 months. Worsened. Almost 10 when PTS due to DVM age estimate.

Surrendered bun to shelter who had (genetic?) heart defect. Died enroute to DVM, at age 4. Heart failure.

I could list 15 more who've shared our home and lives. I hear you on stressors and prior backgrounds.

I am hoping our FG lives 'til age 10ish, and we've got 7 large mix-breed Rexes 9.6 lbs at this time.

Will hope for a long life for all.

I ditto what Nancy McClelland said. Always too soon. Certain maladies cannot be corrected, and we do our best to allow/provide the best life possible. You can take solace with the fact that you did, Mac189.

Thank you... it's something I worry about from time to time. Research in the years following their deaths have led me to conclude some potential genetic or luck of the draw conditions for the younger two and the older two were showing the signs of very elderly animals, but it just felt so short.

Mac189, we sound similar. I always do research after a diagnosis or medical condition to see if some bun's life could be extended or improved. Within our crew, some rabbits capture my heart and are more special than others. Unfair to say that, yet a bond is stronger with some than others. Saying goodbye to some when they are younger is much harder than a gentle PTS for a bun who reached approx. 93 in human years. I am in awe of the lifespans that Nancy McC. mentioned.

We've had 3 beat the "Guiness" record--of course that is out of 47 rescues. Some we didn't know the age of--Mr. B, a pure Netherland was probably around 10 when we got him, you could tell he was an advanced "senior" but we still had him for 6 more years--just can't give him an exact number. We give ours veggies twice a day and unlimited Orchard Grass and a couple of spoons of Timothy based pellets with 4 hours out to exercise a day. The rest was just good genes. I still have a hard time with Bambi making it almost to 19--sweetest little Mini-Rex and a world class jumper. We had one of our Zebra Finches make it to 12 even though the book says 6 years. We knew his age as we saw him emerge from the egg--his brother and 2 sisters all went at 6 to 7 years. One of our Great Danes made it past 13, which is ancient for a dog that size. Sometimes you just get very lucky.

Latest posts

Back