*GASP!* Bunny hunting? Bunny boots? Bunny bar-b-cue??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the difference between eating a cow, a pig, a chicken, a rabbit, a goat, a cat, etc? It's all equally disgusting to me.

P.S. I'm vegetarian. ;)

Human beings are meat-eating by nature (but can also be vegetarian if the correct balance of protein is achieved.)I am not against eating meat as we are also animals in the food chain of nature...I am against the manner in which animals (for meat are treated)

The trouble is, raising beef and pork humanely is far more expensive than the way most commercial farms do it. To raise them humanely, the farmer needs twice as much acreage, more expensive feeds instead of the commercial ones. And of course, this effects the prices in the stores, so most people can't afford it.

I don't think I would ever have the will power to go vegetarian, but I would be thrilled to see more humane and organic farms showing up. BTW, I think (correct me if I'm wrong) most times organic eggs/meat/milk has also been raised in a more humane way than your general commercial products.
I know most of us can't afford to buy organic/humane products all the time, but mabye if we all buy them once or twice a week, the demand, and therefore the production, of these animal products will go up.

Is that something we could do on here? Make a pledge to buy organic/humanely farmed animal products whenever possible? Mabye even start a thread on it, people could "sign on" and make a promise to try and make a difference? I know that as long as the consumers don't take control, the huge and powerful commercial meat producers will not even slow down their cruel treatment of animals. It's all about supply and demand.

You're right Gentle giants..we also shouldn't be buying products that test on animals. I know that here you can buy eggs that are called free-roam, organic. That means that the chickens were allowed to roam on a farm like a normal chicken should. They are more expensive though. I think that we should start a new thread and not say we are going to do it if we aren't....we should think about it first. It would be easier if we could support each other

I agree. It should be something that you think hard about, and no one who doesn't decide to sign would be critisized in any way.
BTW, I don't buy eggs at all, I have my own poultry. Which at the moment are free-roam, even though they aren't supposed to be! (We had a bad wind storm, and the pen blew over at one end. Thankfully no one was injured.)

There is a book available that lists all companies that use animals to test and those that don't. I'm going to try to get a hold of it as I always forget what I'm buying. I guess that if we all tried a little harder that we could help animals to some degree.

I try my best not to use products used on animals, and I watch out for the little rabbit symbol on most products like shampoo, make-up, ect. I refuse to eat store eggs.. compared to a friend of ours who has chickens (they are so spoiled!) the eggs are so much better! It's like comparing dirt with a fresh meal! Happy Chickens = better eggs :D.

This is interesting, because I just was reading this thing on the SPCA website with more humane products you can buy..

http://www.spca.bc.ca/farm/participants.asp

Oh my gosh! All the major companies are testing! It makes me sick. I just LOOOOVE it when I see on a product "We do not test on animals"

Yay! The makeup, soap, and extra goodies I got from the Body Shop are safe.. That's good, just to confirm that they are cruelty free.

Hmm.. I have this shampoo called "Down under Natural's" That says not tested on animals, but I couldn't find it on that site?

That's shocking how many big companys do that.. :shock:

Those charity lists are somewhat bunk. I looked up blood-related charities that don't test on animals. Well, they don't test on animals which just means that they don't have an associated research facility (the one I used to work at did), but what you don't know is that the standard testing equipment uses enzymes and other products from animal sources. Rabbit blood cells to test for unusual antibodies, chicken liver cells for syphilis, various mouse/goat/other animal enzymes to test for HIV, HEP B and C, etc.

So just FYI, if it's medical treatment of some sort, it uses research from animal testing or animal products. We just don't have the technology yet to go without.

Spring wrote:
It's like comparing dirt with a fresh meal! Happy Chickens = better eggs.
Very much so. In my household, store eggs are referred to as "those nasty white things" and are only bought if the (very spoiled, people food eating) chickens are molting instead of laying, or if a large quantity of eggs are needed for the annual easter egg hunt.

Greta wrote:
Spring wrote:
It's like comparing dirt with a fresh meal! Happy Chickens = better eggs.
Very much so. In my household, store eggs are referred to as "those nasty white things" and are only bought if the (very spoiled, people food eating) chickens are molting instead of laying, or if a large quantity of eggs are needed for the annual easter egg hunt.
Same here. We were forced to buy a dozen store eggs while saving my poultry's eggs for fair...my brother cracked open a store bought egg to cook it and I laughed out loud when I saw how terrible and smallthe albumen and yolk looked! :inlove:I love my hens!!!!

Ellie

P.S. Have you hugged your hen today?:)

Yes, you would love your hens. They are amazing creatures. My Penelope has four chicks right now and I love watching her teach them stuff! Cheesecake tastes SO different with fresh eggs. My girls prefer my cheesecake to birthday cake for their birthdays. I always make a regular cake too, as some of the kids who come aren't used to the richness in fresh eggs and can't do the cheesecake!

We had a rooster not too long agowho was rotten!! He was trying to get Penelope to abandon her nest and he would dig the eggs out from under her and break them. Once we figured out he was the one doing it we had a wonderful "Reggie Soup"!! My daughter who the chickens belong to actually butchered him herself. It's all part of life on the farm. He had a wonderful free-range life while he was alive and was terribly spoiled, but we needed Penelope to hatch off some more chicks as some of our hens are getting really old and time to replace them. She is the only one of our hens who will set. Reggie lived a stress free life and died a stress free death.......and really tasted yummy.

~BARB~

I work at this place called Call of the Wild, it's a museum with a huge gift shop and put put golf, stuff like that. Well, we sell TONS of rabbit furs, rabbit jerky, stuff like that. It's disgusting, and I only just noticed it because it's kept in a back corner of the store by the cowboy boots and moccasins, where I don't go very often. Some lady bought 80 furs the other day, because she was making a coat out of them!:shock:

Also, when it says "finished product not tested on animals" does that mean they still test on animals BEFORE the product is finished? I was a little confused about that, because all of Bath & Body Works' products say that on them.

PS- I'm a vegetarian, and I'm not going to lie, it's a difficult diet to adjust to. You have to pay a lot of attention to what you eat in order to get all the nutrients you need, especially protein. I hate when people force their values onto other people, whether it's veggies telling meat people to go veggie, or the other way around. You wouldn't believe how many people have told me off saying that eating meat is natural, and that I was going to die early because I'm a veggie!

I just want to...OH! that makes me so mad!!!!!

If I ever find that person who made that site I know plenty of people that will help me hold him down! and when they do I'll give him such a pinch.(destroy!)

Latest posts

Back