Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breezekoz

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My rex bunny isn't acting himself. He did not come to his dish for dinner time, and I can't get him to eat anything. Even his favorite treats. He is normally very active and loves attention. He is just laying in one spot with his head low. I pet him but he isn't really responsive to anything. He is still occasionally grooming his bonded partners face when he nudges him. What should I do. I've never experience G.I. Stasis! Please help!

Attachments

• 20200401_221535.jpg
    20200401_221535.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 2
Okay. Firstly, I’d offer him lots of hay. Bother him with it. Put it by his mouth on his head. Hopefully when he try’s to pull it away from you, he takes some. Offer his veggies or some herbs.
If he’s bloated give him stomach massages and baby gas drops:

Then I’d get on the phone with a vet. See if they think that you should come in or if you can treat it at home. I know most vets are only open for emergency appointments.

@Mariam+Theo help me!

I agree, give baby gas drops if you have them (simethicone, I believe) and tummy massages, and if you have any critical care I would try to give a bit of that also. If you don’t have critical care, I’ve heard mixing some pellets with warm water to make them liquidy, then offering in a bowl or syringe feeding, is an option as well. I would try to contact a vet ASAP. This is exactly what my bunny did when he had a minor bout of GI stasis.

Gi-stasis is fatal if left untreated, but there are several things you can do to help him. I would not syringe feed just yet.

• Get the rabbit to a vet. If taking him in is not possible, call the vet like Apollo's Slave said. Your rabbit has a high chance of dying if it is not taken to the vet. I cannot emphasize how much this rabbit needs to go to the vet.
  • Give infant gas drops (you can buy them from Walmart or a pharmacy). You can give him 1-2 ml every hour for 3 hours, and then 1-2 ml every 3-8 hours or as needed. I you don't have gas drops you can brew fennel seeds, peppermint tea, or chamomile tea in hot water and syringe feed it to your rabbit after it is cooled. NO HONEY. Syringe it to your rabbit every hour. These should help get gas out. It is a substitute for Infant Gas Drops.
  • Give tummy massages to get the gas moving. Watch the video Apollo's Slave sent.
  • Make your rabbit run around. It may be that you must push him around and make him mad in order to get him moving, but it will be worth it. Moving around will get his gut moving.
  • Give fresh pineapple juice. It can help with dissolving hair in the intestines which could be clogging him up. If you don’t have fresh pineapple you can use canned pineapple, but it does not work as well.
  • Give fresh veggies (Romaine lettuce, cilantro, parsley, and kale). Soak them in water for a minute and feed them to your rabbit while wet that way your rabbit gets water. You can crush some pellets and put the pellet powder on the wet veggies.

If your rabbit has not eaten or pooped in 8-12 hours follow the instructions below:
  • Syringe feed Critical Care 6 times a day. If you don’t have Critical Care you need to soak pellets in water until they are mushy. Then smash them in the water until you have a mixture the consistency of pancake batter.
  • Syringe water 6 times a day. Fill a bowl with water so that the rabbit can drink freely. Add some apple juice or pineapple juice to make it more appealing.

If you need to order Critical Care, here is the link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FKACX...olid=1WPEFZJ54GMSE&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it.

Hello everyone again!
I wanted to let you all know that I have read all of your responses and I really really appreciate it.
I have critical care on the way but due to COVID its going to be delayed. I have provided lots of leafy greens (kale and spinach) , banana (as treat), yogurt drops, biscuit treats, oats. He is still drinking water but not eating.

I am bringing him into the vet in 1 hour. And luckily the vet that has experience with rabbits will be in. Due to covid I will not be able to come in. They will take him through the window. Is there any questions you think I should ask specifically? After the vet I'm going to find some of the infant gas drops that you all suggested. Also try and find some pineapple juice. I've tried to massage his tummy but it definitely seems like a sore spot for him.

I will keep you all posted ! Thank you so so much !

I would not give him any yogurt drops. Those will make it worse. I would also not give those to him as a treat when he is healthy because they are full of sugar.
Ask any question that comes to your mind, no matter how stupid you may think it sounds.

I would not give him any yogurt drops. Those will make it worse. I would also not give those to him as a treat when he is healthy because they are full of sugar.
Ask any question that comes to your mind, no matter how stupid you may think it sounds.
Okay good to know! He didn't eat any anyways. I'll make sure to definitely leave those out of their diet from now on. Thank you!

Okay. Firstly, I’d offer him lots of hay. Bother him with it. Put it by his mouth on his head. Hopefully when he try’s to pull it away from you, he takes some. Offer his veggies or some herbs.
If he’s bloated give him stomach massages and baby gas drops:

Then I’d get on the phone with a vet. See if they think that you should come in or if you can treat it at home. I know most vets are only open for emergency appointments.

@Mariam+Theo help me!

I need your help can you please look my newest post thing please????

How do I add you to a conversation? Or make a post??
To add me to the conversation click on the button that says "Invite more" underneath where it says "Conversation Participants."
To start a thread go to the forum that is titled "Health & Wellness." At the very top you will see your picture, and it will say "Thread Title." Put the thread title in there, and then type your message. Then press "Post Thread." People can help you there.

UPDATE on Kentaro.

He has G.I. stasis they have given us critical care which is good that we don't have to wait for ours to come in.
They also gave us trimeth Sulfa which is an antibiotic for 7 days.
They are having us administer shots Metoclopramide to help get his digestive track moving. For the next 6 more days.

The vet also wants us to give him some fruit and veggie baby food.

UPDATE on Kentaro.

He has G.I. stasis they have given us critical care which is good that we don't have to wait for ours to come in.
They also gave us trimeth Sulfa which is an antibiotic for 7 days.
They are having us administer shots Metoclopramide to help get his digestive track moving. For the next 6 more days.

The vet also wants us to give him some fruit and veggie baby food.
Oh no, but yay that he will most likely get better and you know how to treat it! I hope he gets back on track ASAP! 😁

Any tips on feeding the critical care and antibiotics... ? He really isn't wanting it. I don't want to have to pry open his mouth and make it more stressful on him.

I would get your syringe ready and then pet him as if you were just having a cuddling session.
Rabbits have a gap in between there teeth (see picture). That will be were you put the syringe.

this link was very helpful to me after neutering: Syringe Feeding - Tips & Tricks - Blog

I also smear banana on the tip of my syringe to make it taste better.

This probably won’t not work for you, because he isn’t eating but when I had to feed Pain killers after my rabbits neuter I squeezed it into some banana and then gave the banana to him.

Syringe feeding might be stressful for you both (it certainly was for me) but it’s for the best. Good luck and I hope he gets better

Attachments

• 8A4EB3D0-8CE5-4D72-91A3-14D197198D18.jpeg
    8A4EB3D0-8CE5-4D72-91A3-14D197198D18.jpeg
    28.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back