FYI for people buying cages

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bentley

Reaction score
I'm just letting everyone know, I have my rabbit Bentley, and she has/had a two story floor cage. Well, I learned she now has Arthritis in her knees because she's had to jump from floor to floor for the past 2 years of her life. Just a tip - if your going to buy a cage I suggest ONE STORY CAGES WITH NO RAMPS! ramps can also cause arthritis my vet said.

If it is multi-story it should have a ramp so they can go up the floors without jumping. Hopping up a ramp is roughly the same as hopping on the floor so multi-level with ramps is fine. It could also had been genetics.

I would think the ramps would help prevent the problem, not make it worse. Besides that I know I feel safer with a ramp..gives a choice. In a slippery bottom pen I think it is a must honestly...but I think it is a question I will have to ask my vet next time we go,,,...

I personally wouldn't attribute the arthritis to that. I've had a huge condo before that had levels with no ramps and didn't have any effects.

That's not to say it isn't possible, but I wouldn't find a connection there.

Ramps are probably a good idea though. Basically, I'm trying to say that if your bunny has arthritis, don't blame yourself for something you did/didn't do.

Oh, well, thats what my vet told me. I don't know, it might have been genetics because the previous owner bought her from a pet store that got their animals from mills (aka inbreeding and horrible living conditions) not sure though, since I don't know for sure.

She's 3 years old I believe, somewhere around there

I'm not saying for sure that the vets wrong, just that you shouldn't beat yourself up over because I'd be inclined to disagree.

This brings up an interesting idea.

Firstly a little about arthritis, derived from the greek arthro- for joints and -itis for inflammation, arthritis is a term used to describe any form of inflammation of the joints, from Gout to Rheumatoid Arthritis. The term is used in a wide general range by most people.

Now the arthritis being seen by your rabbit is most likely due to the wearing down, fracturing or general degradation of the cartilage that separates the bones from one another in the joints. Imagine if you will that these are like a cushion to stop the bones from rubbing together. Now in humans this wearing down is seen throughout life, all depending on the lifestyle and genetic factors of the patient.

To oversimplify the matter you can put the cause in to three categories

- Lifestyle
- Genetics
- Both

For some people their lifestyle has led to this cartilage being broken down or fractured in to tiny pieces, causing the bones to bump and grind against each other causing pain for the patient whenever they move. This is caused by repeated impact of the bones against the cartilage, such as jogging on hard surfaces, eople who walk or run with bad footwear, do a lot of moving heavy objects or who exercise regularly on surfaces that don't provide enough support are prone to this.
Naturally the body re-grows this cartilage over time, replacing it with a new fresh cushion for the bones to bump against, mind you this is specifically for lifestyle.

Genetically, there are people who are predisposed to get arthritis at earlier or younger ages, all the way to childhood. Eventually the body can not keep making the cartilage and it begins to wear away, causing the bones to yet again bump against each other and grind.
The cartilage will no longer grow back faster than it is worn away or will not grow back at all.

In some cases sufferers can be afflicted by both bad lifestyle choices and genetic problems, causing the cartilage to disappear faster.

Now mind you that arthritis isn't solely caused by the cartilage being worn away, it can also be caused by many diseases, the name means 'inflammation of the joints' and therefore is a very broad term.

Now that we know a little about arthritis it's time to apply this to rabbits and the concept of multi levelled cages.

We'll presume that at no point any rabbit will be jumping more than it's height standing up, and from our knowledge of rabbits we understand that they jump using the back legs in a pushing motion, think along the lines of a 'super hop' and when jumping down land on their front feet taking the brunt of the force to their forelegs.

Using this information, with the knowledge we have about arthritis we can see a couple of things.
  1. If arthritis is to occur it is most likely to form in the rabbits front feet and shoulders and also around the neck (the force is spread out through other joints nearby). Presuming that the rabbit is landing on something hard there will be a fair bit of force being applied here.
  2. The hind legs of the rabbit rotate the most and have the most force being pushed out of them, during a full blown hop the rabbit will rotate the hind leg a good 60-70 degrees, even up to 90 degrees. During a full blown run the rabbit will be causing a lot of wear and tear on the joints.
  3. Going up and down ramps will actually cause LESS of an impact on the rabbits legs than regular walking, considering the way that rabbits walk, unlike a human or a horse the rabbit moves both legs at once and then the back ones. They do not lift the leg up and then place it down dropping their weight heavily on it, instead they pull themselves forwards. This combined with less rotation when going up and down a ramp should lead to less of a wear and tear on the rabbits cartilage.
So taking these things that we can deduce, we can see that yes jumping between levels is a problem, however having a ramp between the levels will not cause a problem at all.

So this raises the question as to whether separate levels are at all healthy within a rabbits cage. My answer is Yes, they are a great idea, having a separate level really adds to the mental health of the rabbit allowing them to see farther and also come closer to level with humans. However the movement between levels presents a problem, due to the lack of well recorded statistics of the development of arthritis combined with the inclusion of multiple levels in the rabbits cage it can not be said that there is a direct correlation between the two.

The general feeling on the forums is that no one has experienced many problems with arthritis leading from multiple levels, while also taking in to account the selective breeding of many rabbits their inclination towards arthritis should be slim, however we do see it in the very old rabbits and the inbreeding and bad standards within rabbit farms can cause problems here.

If you are worried about your rabbit install a ramp, let them choose whether they wish to jump up or not, many rabbits will prefer to continue jumping and that's okay too. If you can't include a ramp and are worried try to provide some form of cushion or soft surface for the rabbit to jump on to. Anything from a simple cushion to a handful of hay will help to soften the blow.

If you are really worried and wish to try to prevent arthritis, Glucosamine supplements can be given to the rabbit daily, now these are expensive for a supplement but when your rabbit is hitting it's 11th or 12th year it can be worth it to ease the pain of walking.

Glucosamine is used by the body to create these cartilage and is integral in the creation of it, dosing for rabbits can be found elsewhere in the forums if you are interested drop me a PM.

I've had my bunnies in modified ferret cages for years - with 4 tiers for jumping (only to a 6 inch height) . No problems so far. My oldest is 10.

Thanks for the above details. I wasn't really worried about it until now. They are very happy with the arrangement. I am keeping an eye on them as my older buns hit the geriatric stage and will be installing ramps at some point.

So sorry to hear about Bentley.

Well this is a BIG worry for me.

My mini lop is in a two floor cage with a ramp, but he's chewed up the whole ramp so we got rid of it, but he jumps between the floors now, he seems to enjoy being able to have his food, litter tray and hay down stairs and upstairs is a resting spot with a hiding hole.

I guess its time to get rid of the 2nd floor and just turn it into a single story home!

Can anyone else confirm the arthritis issue with double floor or multi floor cages?

This is not the first case i've read of this happening.

What about when my Nethie runs around in my room and jumps from shelf to shelf, from the shelves to the ground, from the ground to my bed and back down again.

He's just discovered his jumping abilities so he's very excited exploring the limits of his hopping!

l.lai wrote:
So sorry to hear about Bentley.

What about when my Nethie runs around in my room and jumps from shelf to shelf, from the shelves to the ground, from the ground to my bed and back down again.

He's just discovered his jumping abilities so he's very excited exploring the limits of his hopping!

That's what motivated me to create my setup. Anytime my bunnies running are a room, they hop up on things. My pooch is due for a vet visit for allergy meds. My vet is also well versed in bunnies. I'll have to ask her input then.

It's possible that if during Bentley's early life, she was confined to too small an area, her bones and joints may not have developed properly, leading her to have problems in later life. My guys love to run all over and jump. I've had Nethies jump off my bed which is very high off the ground--4 feet, say, with no problems. Now I don't recommend that you let your nethies do that--a jump from that high could damage the spine--and I don't let them do it any more. It was a situation of not being able to keep them from jumping off. I have made a cage out of two tall bookshelves with shelves alternating so they can jump up and down, and the top shelf is probably 4 feet up--this is for the lop and Dutch. They like to be on all the shelves, and these two will also jump up on the couch with us. I don't know a lot about their early lives because they're from rescues, but they seem to be fine. The one that I know was kept in bad conditions before she came to the rescue doesn't jump as much or as high as the Dutch, though, so maybe she has a similar issue.

edited for incorrect gender--sorry Ms. Bentley!

Latest posts

Back