Fur Types And Static Electricity

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troller

Reaction score
I have two Flemish Giants, a fawn doe and a blue buck a few months apart in age. The fawn's fur is a bit coarser while the buck's fur is softer. Conan, the buck, is building up static electricity hopping around while Xena, the doe, doesn't have such an issue. Is it fur related? Is there anyway to lessen it, especially since I want to groom and pet Conan but he flinches every time static begins to build up?

Static happens when the air in your home is dry. Usually it is more of a problem in the winter than the summer.

The best way to combat this problem is to use a humidifier which adds moisture to your air. You can use either a smaller humidifier that will add moisture to just one room and runs around $30 or you can get a larger one that can be used for a whole home that runs around $100.

You may also notice other benefits. If we don't have one in our bedroom then we wake with some pretty bad headaches.

If you cannot get a humidifier right away you could try filling a tea pot with water and placing it on your stove to heat allowing the steam to escape into the air. A pot of water could also work.

I also have noticed this with my rabbits one has coarser fur than the other. The static is horrible with my Persian and himalayian cats as well. PaGal is right a humidifier would help.

I have noticed that my one bun with really fine fur, tends to get more static. Dampening your hand a little when you pet them, helps.

I have the same problem. Poor Twigs gets shocked in the ears or nose with every pet. And he hates when I get my hand wet first before I pet him. I hadn't thought of a humidifier I might have to try it. It's been SO DRY here it's not even funny.

Latest posts

Back