Fur mites

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marieandturabi

Reaction score
Hi everyone, it's my first time posting on here!
I've had my bunny for 5 years and been lucky to never have any major health issues with him. I recently noticed when I was after fussing him and cleaning out his cage that I had a number of bites on my arm. He's absolutely fine he hasn't been scratching and his fur and skin is fine but I'm getting bitten up by something everytime I touch him or clean him out! He's had a ivermectin injection at the vets and I'm thoroughly cleaning his cage and run every day but I'm still getting feasted upon 😭 anyone had any experience of mites and what to expect/how long an infestation lasts/ any tips? Thanks in advance, Marie

Has to be fleas if you get bites that quick. Mine lost spots of fur and it had white flakes on the fur that I later learned would contain the mites as they feast on keratin. When I got bitten it was around my abdomen, since they tend to look for warmer spots than arms. Flea dirt would show as black specks when you part the fur. It is easier to diagnose them that way since they are so quick at jumping off before you see them. Mine was given something else for the mites. And needed 3 treatments.

Latest posts

Back