Fur mites???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iLuvMyLilBuns

Reaction score
Just in time for the state fair!! :/ we're leaving on Wednesday and I'm showing Linus there. He was looking very nice & I'm not sure how I hadn't noticed this before but he's starting to loose fur in one spot and there's A LOT of dandruff/flaking... sorry the picture isn't very good. Are fur mites the only cause of this or is this something that happens sometimes?I'm not sure if I should be worried and I would rather not have to make another trip to the vet. if this is fur mites how quickly would it clear up and how would this be treated, just an injection of ivermectin? I have two other bunnies and they're both healthy and have no dandruff. ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1408326714.089564.jpg

Last edited:
I would lean towards mites. Is it just in one area or all over? If that's what you think it is, you can give ivermectin orally, and I would treat all the rabbits, not just him. If he does have mites you know you can't show him . :(

thanks! it doesn't look as bad today and i was reading that it could be a cause of over grooming. I'm not sure so I'm taking him to the vet tomorrow to be safe :)

the vet saw eggs on his fur so she thinks it's the start of fur mites but she said ivermectin is really hard on them, she told me to order revolution.

The vet said there is revolution made for rabbits, where do I find it and what's the dosage? she said one once a month.

Do I need to throw all his toys away?

How do I disinfect the hutch, food bowl, water bottle to kill the mites?

is it fine to bring him to state fair if it's just a little dandruff and the start of fur mites? (we leave tomorrow and have paid for everything and are all ready to go)

Last edited:
to disinfect the cage and your stuff, you have to wash with bleach diluted 1/10 and then rinse well with water and dry thoroughly in the sun to remove moisture. Scans so there are no remnants of chlorine in things, to test smells.
I do that when my dwarf was an fungus in the ear.
It's all I know to say to you .
Hope you both are fine!

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Rabbit Forum

Revolution is to be dosed at 18mg/kg. You can use whatever revolution you want, the type will determine how much (ml) you give, but it will still be given at the same strength. Just make it easier to dose all your animals (yes you need to do them all) if you purchase a larger tube like... red or teal then divide it up between all the rabbits and other animals in the house/area.
If its a current infestation (which it is) you can dose bi-weekly for the first 2 doses, then monthly as prevention.
If the toy is porous like wood, you can soak it overnight so it saturates with water, then bake it.
Otherwise toss it in the dishwasher or something.
Wooden hutch, you will have issues fully disinfecting that.

We've used both ivermectin and revolution. We had no problems with the rabbits who took ivermectin. Because you caught it fairly early you may be able to get it cleared up in 1 or 2 doses. You DO need to treat each one of your rabbits though. I see no problem with showing your other rabbits, but personally I don't think you should show the one with mites. It's up to you, but you could easily be disqualified if the judge catches it. You're also exposing other people's rabbits to getting mites. We've only had to deal with it once, and I'm pretty sure that's how our rabbits got it.

Latest posts

Back